Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang chair from ceiling?

rissalouis3
Just Starting Out

How to hang chair from ceiling?

I have been wanting to hang my hanging chair in the corner of my dining room with rope but I am unsure what attachment to put in the joist to hang?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang chair from ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rissalouis3. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing into a joist.

You could use a Swing Slide Climb Ductile Swing Hook, Zenith 6mm Universal Swing Pivot, or even an eye screw. Please remember that roof joists are not designed to have the weight of a person and chair hanging off them. Typically you'd want to connect the chair to a supporting roof beam or structural member. If in doubt, I recommend you enlist the services of a professional to assess the roof structure or install additional timbers in the roof space to accommodate your chair's connection to it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

1000009954.png

Hi Mitchell,

I'm also looking to hang a chair from the ceiling in my house (built 2 years ago - sharing this mid-construction photo to show the different types of beams). Could you please suggest which type of beam would be best to connect the chair to? Eg one of the metal ones?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sallyykingg. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

Mitch is taking a well-earned break at the moment so let me tag our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL. He will assist as best he can, but as per Mitch's note above, please be aware that there can be considerable force involved in a person sitting on a hanging chair so it might be best to engage the services of a professional to assess your roof structure and ensure safety. 

Thanks,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sallyykingg 

Thanks for posting that photo of your roof framing. Although there is a large metal beam running along the center of your two walls, it's been designed to carry the roof framing and trusses only. Adding extra weight might offset the balance and damage your roofing frame. The metal beam will not only need to hold the weight of the person, but the dynamic forces applied to the swing which would be considerable if the swing were to be used vigorously.

In this instance, I suggest engaging the services of a professional. They will be able to determine how to reinforce your ceiling frame so that the swing can be attached safely. It might even require adding a whole new timber piece just dedicated to hold the swing. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects