Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from timber wooden floor?

dipesh101
Just Starting Out

How to remove paint from timber wooden floor?

20240326_143915.jpg

How to remove a red color paint from the timber wooden floor? It looks permanent to remove I tried using some chemicals mentioned on youtube but didnt work. Any cleaning tips.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to remove red color paint from timber wooden floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dipesh101. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing paint from flooring.

You might like to post some images so our members have a better idea of the issue you're trying to resolve. Let me know if you need a hand uploading pictures.

Is this new paint that was recently spilled or old paint that's been there for a while? Do you happen to know if it's water or oil-based paint? What chemicals have you tried so far?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Its old and its a powder red color mixed with water but it turned out to be difficult to remove.

20240326_143915.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dipesh101 

I believe the paint powder has travelled into the fibres of the wood. I suggest getting a clean rag and soaking it in water. Remove all the excess water by wringing it very well. Place the damp rag over the stain and leave it there for about 45 minutes. The purpose of placing the damp rag over the stain is to reach the paint that has travelled deep into the wood.

After 45 minutes see if you can wash the stain off using warm water and detergent. I also recommend using Mr Clean Eraser Pad Block. Please make sure to soak the sponge in water first, otherwise it will not be effective. Lightly test a small corner of the stain first to make sure that it does not damage the timber finish.

Using stronger chemicals might harm your timber floor and strip it of its finish. If that is the case, you might want to think about the possibility of sanding your floor down and applying new sealant.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects