Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare for floating floor?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to prepare for floating floor?

Good afternoon everyone. Could I please get your expertise with floating floors. 

House 1994

Living Room Refresh 

Ceiling and walls painted. Now it’s time to install those laminate timber floors. 

I have pulled out the old crappy carpet, underlay and batons with that special tool to pull out the nails. 
As carefully as I could pull them out, chunks of the concrete slab came out too. 
Do I need to fill in all the gouges ? Because the concrete slab looks like it has a bluish colour waterproof coating I think. I have never done this before and again I’m going to step out of my comfort zone and have a go at laying flooring myself. 
Please , your advice will be truly appreciated. Also, are there any posts on here about floating floors 😃😃😃

IMG_1598.png

IMG_1597.jpeg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to prepare for floating floor

Ok great and thank you 😊 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to prepare for floating floor?

Ok, I have divided up the room into 3 sections to try and make it easier to measure up for the flooring. I have the two main’ squares’ 😆 the triangle one…..well 😂 

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1714.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Excellent prep work, please remember to leave the packets of flooring in the room overnight so that they acclimate to the temperature of the room. Make sure to double check the direction of your floating floor before you begin. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Ok great advice Eric , I have written that down to remember. We just need to purchase the boards now. I was thinking of laying them towards the window where most of the daylight comes in ? Would that make the room look bigger if that makes sense ? 

IMG_1730.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Floating floor sets often have that effect of making rooms look bigger once they are installed. You'll notice the difference once you have a full set in place.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@adamliaw  I have ripped out our carpet in the living room and yes the same thing happened. I have never done this before so I don’t want to stuff it up. I filled all the holes as Eric advised. It’s certainly been a good learning process for me 😃

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1640.jpeg

Also , when I pulled up the old carpet underlay, a lot of it was stuck to the concrete so I had to carefully scrape it off without gouging the floor. I used this floor scraper which is awesome !!! 

DTA Australia DTA 150mm Heavy Duty Floor

IMG_1568.jpeg

adamliaw
Getting Established

Thank you @mich1972 , appreciate it. Now i am going to do the same filling those cone damage with spakfilla. 

Btw your subfloor looks so much smoother than mine 👍, kinda made me worry about my subfloor. 

Thank you, yes we are lucky. Good luck mate and looking forward to seeing your progress with your new flooring !!!! 😃

adamliaw
Getting Established

Thank you! Still along way for me to go, have to paint the wall and bit of cleanup before installing the new floor. 

Keep us updated too! It will look awesomeee in your living room (already picturing it) . 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects