Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare fireplace base before tiling?

AK1975
Just Starting Out

How to prepare fireplace base before tiling?

IMG_7950.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

After removing tiles from the base of my open fireplace, I found an old enclosed ash pit. What is the best means of covering the open hole (filling with concrete is not an option) before adding a leveller and retiling? Do I just focus on covering the hole or the entire base internal to the fireplace?

IMG_7953.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare fireplace base before tiling?

Hello @AK1975 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about preparing your fireplace base for tiling.

Before you begin your repairs, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council concerning fireplace repairs. In this particular situation, I suggest engaging the services of a registered fireplace installer. They will know what type of mortar to use, and they'll be able to tell you if the tiles you've chosen will work inside a fireplace.

Having it done by a registered trade means that should your fireplace ever be inspected you'll have proof that it was repaired to code. You'll receive a docket from the installer with a guarantee. The installer will also be able to tell you if the ash pit can be sealed off.

Generally speaking any material you use inside the fireplace must be fire rated. It has to be able to handle tremendous heat repeatedly. It has to stay stable when it is continuously run through a heating and cooling cycle. These are some the things you'll need to keep in mind when choosing materials for the inside of your fireplace.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AK1975
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, can you recommend a non-combustible sheeting that could be laid over the base of the fireplace before levelling? The pit was sealed previously from all access points (internal/external) and chosen tiles are suitable for this purpose. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AK1975 

I'm sorry but the only fire rated product I have to recommend is the Dingo 10KG Fire Rated Mortar Bag. I'm currently not aware of any non-combustible flat sheeting that will work inside a fireplace. I recommend speaking to the person that sold you the tiles as they might have something suitable for your fireplace base.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects