Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a desk using a Specrite panel?

Melon71
Just Starting Out

How to build a desk using a Specrite panel?

Hello, 

So I'm looking to build a basic office desk using the SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Merbau Panel, but, am a bit unsure how I should go about it. Looking for advice on which table legs I should use, wondering if X Shaped Table Bench Desk Legs Retro Industrial Design fully welded legs would work, and wondering if Bunnings would have a service to help put them together?

1000006368.jpg

Melon71_0-1693276996179.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a desk using a Specrite panel?

Hello @Melon71 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a desk.

The SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Merbau Panel along with the RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Cusco Steel Tube Table Furniture Leg make for an excellent combination when building a desk. 

Assembling it is about as easy as it gets, I propose positioning the legs 200mm from the edge of the benchtop and screwing them into place with standard screws. I recommend using Zenith 10G x 25mm Galvanised Wafer Head Timber Screws.

I've been speaking to the special orders desk regarding assembly. I'm sorry but the desk top assembly is outside the scope of the furniture assembly service. Only kit sets are allowed to be assembled.  

Another option you can explore is to post the job on Airtasker or Hipages. My only tip is to make sure to put in as much detail as you can so that you can get an immediate response.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular desk projects.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dchur
Building a Reputation

We did exactly that. I don't think it was the same specrite you have, but very similar, from bunnings. We used similar X-shape legs and couldn't be happier.

I don't think we got the legs from bunnings but they were considered. Just check the height is what you're after. the ones we got ended up being perfect for being a long desk for the two of us when we both WFH!

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.02.21 pm.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @dchur.

I'm sure @Melon71 will be inspired by what you have done. Many thanks for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Melon71 

Instead of the metal legs you could also go the route of a cabinet style support at either end of the desk. 

kaboodle 300mm base cabinet 

You would have to add a little extra to the height (prob with some timber at the top of the box to make the overall height of the desk the standard height)

Just dont add the plastic adjustable feet the the cabinet and you could have a classy office desk with a little storage.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects