Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a ceiling fan?

rads29
Just Starting Out

How to paint a ceiling fan?

I just saw a video of a lamp being spray painted, I'm looking to paint my ceiling fan, can I spray paint it or is it available in tin so I can do it with a brush?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to paint a ceiling fan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rads29. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a ceiling fan.

I can't think of any reason you wouldn't be able to spray paint your ceiling fan. It will likely be easiest to do so if you can remove the blades instead of having to paint them on the fan. 

You'd need to thoroughly clean the fan with Sugar Soap to remove any grease and grime. If it's a particularly glossy finish on the fan, it would be best to scuff up the surfaces with 180grit sandpaper, as this will help the paint bond to the surface. Rust-Oleum 340g White 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Gloss Spray Paint would be a suitable paint to use. If you did want to paint with a brush, then Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint would work well.

Make sure to take some before and after photos, as I trust our members would love to see your results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects