Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to match the colour of my walls?

my2108
Getting Established

How to match the colour of my walls?

I just moved into a house which the previous owner had put a lot of screws and nails on the wall to hold their pictures and paintings.  Now that all the pictures were removed, and showing almost 20 nails everywhere.

I have already pulled some of them out and leaving some dents on the wall.  I also bought some gap fillers to fill the holes but most of the fillers that I could find are in white and my wall is still in between yellowish white and sunshine white.

I wonder if there is a systematic way I can find the right color code of the paint used on my wall and I can easily brush up the same color to conceal the white filler. 

Any advice is welcomed.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Covering up the dent on the wall w/ the right color

Hi @my2108 

If you can take a paint chip off the wall with you too bunnings they will match colour as close as possible.  There is slim chance it wont be a  100 % perfect colour match but that is totally ok.  But  they usually pretty precise. Dabs here and there wont work usually.

so the trick  here is to paint the whole  ex damaged wall area in this new  paint color even if it is a little different shade people will never notice as the light will always shine off wall angles all around the room a little differently they will mentally think  slight shade change is the light angle.

If the holes around the room 4 walls then give the room a double coat  re paint.  OR  Pick a  new colour you like and  be extra happy.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to match the colour of my walls?

Hi @my2108,

It looks like @Jewelleryrescue has provided a prompt answer once again!

Repainting the wall will always give you the best results. I'd encourage you to try a spot repair first, and if you are not happy with the results, you can paint the whole wall. As mentioned, if you can remove a 20-cent-sized piece of paint and take that with you, the team in-store will be able to do a close colour match on it. Alternatively, you can head in-store and pick up a dozen or so colour cards in off-white colours and check at home to see which one is the closest match. You can then have that colour mixed up for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects