Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to makeover an antique glass display cabinet?

marylambert0204
Finding My Feet

How to makeover an antique glass display cabinet?

Seeking ideas to upcycle this glass display cabinet. Couple of the glass shelf holders are missing, what can I replace them with?(sample pic attached).

Also the back wooden panel is very mouldy and thinking I should replace the whole thing. What should I replace it with?

Am thinking I might glue some nice wallpaper inside to brighten it up. 

IMG_1375.jpeg

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to makeover an antique glass display cabinet?

Hi @marylambert0204,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community.

It looks like a beautiful cabinet. Let me tag some experienced furniture restorers in the community to see if they might like to share their thoughts about how they would tackle this restoration project:

@Stuardo@prettyliving@craftyhopper@lifestylebymari@sandy_d@Renowayoflife 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Hi @marylambert0204 @what lovely cabinet! And so much potential.

there are a few options depending on the overall look you want to achieve.

I love the idea of adding wallpaper or peel and stick, I did something recently when I upcycled an old cabinet into a neighbourhood library and it adds a little fun and a pop of colour. 

if the back is moldy then I would replace it with a piece of ply, you will want to sand and clean the finished ply before you add your peel and stick.

Paint - you could rough sand and paint and if you like a shabby chic finish distress the finished paint - chalk paint is great for this finish. I recently distressed an antique chair with a similar finish. 

stain - this would require a little more work as you will need to strip it back to the wood and sand it back completely. You could lighten it by using a liming white or go for a darker stain.

regarding the shelving tabs, maybe check at Bunnings or local hardware stores for a replacement piece. 

im sure whatever you do it will look wonderful, can’t wait to see it. 

Thanks Claire 

Thank you ☺️

Thanks so much Claire☺️

Hello @marylambert0204 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to makeover your glass display cabinet. I think one of the key aspects of a successful upcycling project is colour. I've seen so many upcycling projects and just by adding colour to an old piece of furniture it immediately takes on a whole new character.

Dark colours give you a modern retro look, bright white gives it a Hampton feel and mixed colours reflects your personal preference. There are no fixed rules to what colours you should use, but what is important is that you like what you see.

My best advice is to get rid of the mouldy panel as it's not good for your health and make sure to clean the inside of the of the cabinet to remove all the mould spores that might remain.

Here are some amazing upcycled furniture projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tips Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects