Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a dining tabletop from flooring samples?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

How to make a dining tabletop from flooring samples?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey legends! I have a fair few of these flooring samples that I thought instead of throwing out they’re perfect size to put together as a table top for a dining table! They’re heavy and pretty sure they’re wood as I have drilled through one before. I wanted to get some advice on the best way that I could stick three of these together length wise to create a table top! I already have side tables as the legs to stick. So I just need to figure out how I could put three of these together length wise as you will see they aren’t very thick. Also then wanted to maybe paint black or stain black? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a dining table out of samples

Hi @SarahK1996,

They look like they'd make a great tabletop! Since they are so thin, I'd recommend creating a frame with something like 66 x 30mm Pine to support them. I've created a rendering below to illustrate. You can then add glue between the panels and also to the frame before screwing through the frame and up into the tabletop. Make sure to select screws that are slightly shorter than the combined thickness of the frame and top. Since you can see the MDF base layer on the edge of the panels, I suggest finishing the sides with timber beading to obscure them. Using a 30mm beading will give the illusion that the top is thicker than it is.

I can't wait to see your finished project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

table1.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell! 

Thankyou so much for your help! Is there a way even to just get like a full panel of something and stick them on top of so I don’t have to do much cutting etc? Just thinking the cheapest and easiest way if you have any other ideas? Each panel is approx 900 x 600 and I think I might do 3!

You could just glue them on top of an 1800 x 900mm 16mm MDF Panel @SarahK1996👍 Great thinking! I don't think it would be particularly noticeable if it did, but any large panel that is only supported at the ends can potentially bow in the middle. That's why my normal go-to would be a timber frame with a greater thickness. 

Since that's such a simple option, I'd suggest you go that route, and then if it did bow, you could flatten it back out with weight and screw on some timber batons underneath to add more rigidity.

Mitchell

Amazing!!! Thanks Mitchell! Reckon I could just stick on top of one panel with liquid nails? 

Also any recommendations on how I would go about putting a dark stain on it or painting it black?

That would work, @SarahK1996. Three of your samples would fit perfectly on one 1800 x 900 panel. Liquid nails would be suitable, or your could also use PVA wood glue.

It's really up to you what stain or paint you want to use. You could do a Feast Watson 250ml Satin Black Japan Stain And Varnish, which is slightly translucent, or you could go for a black paint such as Aquanamel. Aquanamel is fairly robust, but using placemats would still be best. You could overcoat the paint with a water-based polyurethane to increase its wear resistance.

Personally, I'd go for the Black Japan stain and varnish, as it seems a shame to completely cover that lovely herringbone pattern with paint. If you were going to paint the top black, you might as well just purchase a 16mm thick sheet of MDF and paint that instead.

Mitchell

You are great! Yes! I think that’s perfect as I don’t want to completely ruin the herringbone pattern! Amazing! 

also, I was going to use 4 circular side tables from Kmart for the legs however I wanted to find something even more budget. I’m looking for the cylinder shape so maybe I could use some kind of tubing or something? If that makes sense? Any ideas? Like a PVC tube or formatube or something if timber is too expensive? Hahaha I sounds random sorry! 

You could potentially use PVC pipe @SarahK1996. You could screw endcaps onto the underside of the table and then glue the sections of PVC pipe in them with solvent cement. The most economical way to buy the pipe would be in a 6m length. If you speak with a helpful team member in-store, they should be able to cut it down into one-metre sections to "fit in your car". That's much cheaper than buying the one-metre sections individually.

Another option might be to keep your eye out in our flooring section. Our vinyl flooring comes on some cardboard tubes around 100mm thick. It's quite strong, so you could perhaps use that. If there's a finished role there, I'm sure the team would be happy for you to recycle it.

Mitchell

That is so smart! Thanks legend!!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects