Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a bat for my pottery wheel?

ramennoodles
Finding My Feet

How to make a bat for my pottery wheel?

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 9.27.31 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-09 at 9.27.51 AM.png

Hi all, 

I'm looking to make an accessory for my pottery wheel similar to these pictures, I wonder what the best way to approach it would be, and what the round fasteners used to tighten are called? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a bat for my pottery wheel?

Hello @ramennoodles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about making a bat for your pottery wheel.

If you look closely at the first picture you posted you'll notice that the bat pins they used are two rubber pieces and one in steel. These are possibly custom-made or available only at specialty pottery shops. However, you can duplicate the function by using Surface Gard 25mm Brown Round Screw-In in combination with a wing nut and a machine threaded screw with a flat head.

You'll need to double up the surface guard so that it fits snugly to your current pottery wheel. The tightening action will happen when the wing nuts begin to compress the rubber. This in turn will lock the bat in place to your pottery wheel. The bat wheel has to be totally centred on your current pottery wheel to prevent it from vibrating. 

You'll see in the second picture they've installed guides on the outside of the circle. These guides actually hold a square piece in the middle where you throw your clay onto. The guides can be made of the same material such as plywood, but if you can get your hands on some very thick plastic that will work as well.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide to cutting a circle in timber: Circle cutting template, without drilling a pivoting point for a plunge router/trimmer by @JoeAzza

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to make a bat for my pottery wheel?

Thank you Eric, this is extremely helpful!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects