Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install hanging rail?

ClaireChen
Finding My Feet

How to install hanging rail?

Hi, we are trying to use the space, how can we put a hanging rail at the bottoms like what we have now? or any other suggestions? thank you guys

5D119807-9DBF-454C-948A-3EE516CA0825.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hanging rail

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ClaireChen. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a hanging rail.

How is the hanging rail fixed at the top? Does it make use of that middle divider as the mid-support point? If you can take a picture of how the top rail connects in the middle and how it's supported, it will give us a clue as to how you can construct the bottom rail.

Is it mainly more hanging space that you're after? If so, the additional hanging rod might be the answer, but we do have an extensive range of wardrobe storage solutions that you could utilise in the bottom section. Also, check out this Top Ideas post on 5 ways to add more storage to your wardrobe.

I look forward to seeing how that top rail is connected on the sides and in the middle. I'll then be able to suggest the appropriate products to use for your new bottom rail.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ClaireChen
Finding My Feet

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have attached photos of other parts of the wardrobe. I am planning to have hanging rails in the middle and build simple draws on one side.

72F8EF90-4692-4CDD-B7EB-5EDAD5907577.jpeg

73D96B48-F6C5-4583-B7FB-6EF92AEDD783.jpeg

  

D303C8CA-328F-49FF-816F-C101E2D4064A.jpeg

Hi @ClaireChen,

If you're fixing the hanging rail between two walls, you will use oval flanges. If you need to attach the rail to the shelf above, you can use pillar ends. Or, if you need to support a longer rail length in the middle, you can use a pillar centre.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, 

Thank you so much for you guidance. is the wall safe to drill through to fix the oval flanges? As the above rail, they have been fixed on a piece of wood, which should be glued and also nailed through ( i am just guessing). 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install hanging rail?

Hello @ClaireChen

If you are drilling into timber there should be no problem in installing the oval flanges. However, if you are installing into a plasterboard wall, I suggest using Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor. The self-drilling Ramset Toggle Anchor is suitable for heavy-duty fixing in plasterboard for cavity walls or ceilings.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Re: How to install hanging rail?

Thank you so much Eric! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects