Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to join pieces of a timber benchtop?

midas
Growing in Experience

How to join pieces of a timber benchtop?

IMG_8745.jpeg

Hello I’d be grateful for some advice please on a question I have about joining two pieces of a timber benchtop.

I’ve bought two Okoume timber panels (2200mm x 600mm x 25mm) that will be installed as benchtops on top of some melamine cabinets as part of a tv unit. I couldn’t get a single panel that would span the 3140mm length so I decided to join two together. My plan is to use one full length 2200mm panel in the middle and join two smaller pieces on either side (so it looks symmetrical and there isn’t a join in the middle of the benchtop). The first picture gives you the general idea although I only have one of the pieces of the bench top in view. The second photo shows the overall design. Note the vertical panels and fill join the bench top from above.

So, my issue is around appropriately joining the timber panels to form the benchtop. I was planning to use my biscuit jointer to install 6 or so biscuits between the panels and gluing them together. I know that biscuit jointing end grain to end grain is typically a poor choice as this is a weak joint. However, I’m wondering if it will be ok in this situation because; 1) the panels will be secured with screws to cabinets underneath thus providing additional strength, 2) there will be additional cabinets and panels joined to the benchtop from above (these should provide vertical support), and 3) the benchtop will span longways between two walls (if that helps for stability).

Will that work or am I kidding myself?

My back up option is to install a number of pocket screws (in addition to the biscuits?) to the underneath to add strength but this feels like overkill.

image.jpg

Many thanks for your advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to join pieces of a timber benchtop?

Hello @midas 

Thanks for sharing your question about joining benchtops together. Using biscuits is perfectly fine a good technique to clamp the benchtop together is by using ratchet straps and leaving it overnight for a tight solid join.

Another option is to use Hafele 65mm Benchtop Connector. It will require you to make some cuts under your benchtop, but this joiner is much more secure than biscuits and can take a fair bit of stress.

One other way to join the benchtops is by using flat metal flanges, the drawback however, is that the joins must not land near cabinet dividers, but if it does the cabinet will need to be rebated so that the joiners don't lift the benchtop.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
midas
Growing in Experience

Many thanks Eric! I did consider the bench top joiner but wasn’t sure if it was much better than biscuits. The flange is an interesting option. I’d have to check about the placement. 

many thanks for the advice. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @midas 

I'm personally waiting for @JoeAzza's recommendation as he has crafted amazing timber furniture. I'm sure he has a technique or two that he can suggest joining benchtops together.    

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @midas, I would also use biscuit joints or floating mortises, I join timber using the Festool Dominoes similar to biscuit joining, just use a good wood glue, a polyurethane glue is good too, this is the one I have been using.

if you can use pocket holes too, you won’t need to clamp the boards, however you will need to clamp the board to line up the surfaces, use deli tape or masking tape on the clamping timber so it doesn’t stick to your boards. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

IMG_3461.png

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @midas , just to add to my post, re clamping the timber panels so they stay level/aligned with each , here is an idea I found on line, if you want to, you can make something similar out of timber. I am not sure if they are available in Australia.

JoeAzza_0-1711627866340.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @midas 

I was going for a simpler solution to the problem tho @EricL has said the same with the metal flange.

I do like the way @JoeAzza  has also suggested to join the benchtop.

For  my idea it was just going to make sure the benchtop has been cut square and then screw with coundtersink screws a couple pieces of timber underneath, making sure the timber isnt thicker then the edge of your cupboards so it wont impede the draws. The Cabinets will support the bench so there will be no "play" or flex in the benh top and 4 screws through the extra piece of timber into the underside of the bench (4 left and 4 right side)

Admittedly I have never used biscuit joins and I am no where close to being as good as Joe is :smile:

Id be tempted to lay out the three sections of bench on the cabinets and then line them up with each other and screw them insitu. You could clamp a piece of timber over the joins with a couple of G clamps if you wanted. I would also use some timber glue just so the line is less noticible.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @midas , I haven't had need to join a long top, but I have had 2 kitchen tops installed and both were joined using the benchtop connectors (plus glue) as suggested by @EricL . 

They make very strong joins. The bolts are long enough to enable the holes to be well away from the join, so the material along the whole join is being compressed.

midas
Growing in Experience

Many thanks everyone! There some great ideas there. 
I think what I might do is start with some biscuits and glue (I have a gorilla ultimate wood glue) to join them and ratchet strap them together to clamp them. I’ll use some long timbers to help keep it level while it sets. Then I’ll see about adding a few of those bench top joiners to increase the strength of the join. Last, I’ll manoeuvre the timber in place and secure it to the cabinets with screws into the cabinet stretcher and using metal right angle brackets at the back. (I might even use long screws and connect to the wall studs). 
thanks so much for all the advice! I’ll share some photos once it’s all done 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @midas, and please reach out again if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects