Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install multi-store drawer/shelving units into built in/walk in robes?

vej001
Getting Established

How to install multi-store drawer/shelving units into built in/walk in robes?

I am building a new home which is nearing completion.  One of the bedrooms has a WIR and the other three bedrooms have built in robes.  When completed, each of the robes (both bult in and walk in) will be empty save for a single shelf at 2000mm height and a single hanging rail running below that shelf.

I will need to install some shelving, drawers, and extra hanging rails in each wardrobe.  I would like to install some of the shelving/drawers units made by Multi-store which I have seen at Bunnings (those which are 2000mm tall).

My question is this - can these units be installed under the existing shelf that will be there, or is the presence of the shelf going to cause problems or prevent installation of these types of units?

I am a complete amateur when it comes to these things, so any and all advice and guidance very much appreciated! 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Installing Multi-store drawer/shelving units into built in/walk in robes

Hey @vej001 , welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community!

It would be easier to install the shelving / drawers that you want before the single shelf is in. My Inlaws asked their builders to do certain things to make their DIY projects easier once the house was completed, so you could: 

• Ask if they would be ok with installing what you want and provide them the shelves/drawers to install it themselves.
  • Inform them of what you intend to put there so they can make the adjustments needed for what you want to fit
  • Ask them to not install the single shelf but leave the materials for you to install yourself along with the shelves/drawers you purchase from Bunnings. 

A few options, but that's the process I'd go through. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vej001

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about installing the Multistore system in your wardrobes.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. The recommendations made are spot on, my only other suggestion is to choose the units ahead of time so that the builders can see what you plan on installing. It's important that you communicate to your builders what you want to install inside the wardrobes as soon as possible so that they will not install the 2-meter shelving.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vej001
Getting Established

Thank you very much for replying @Remarka6le and for the excellent advice, greatly appreciated.

I have spoken with my builder and options 1 and 2 are a no :(.  However, option 3 is a yes, so that is what I will do!

Thank you once again, you have saved me a lot of potential hassle down the road :smile:

vej001
Getting Established

Thank you very much Eric for your reply and advice.  I appreciate it.  The shelf and rail will now not be installed, but the components left in the garage in case they can be used later during the fit out.  I was a bit reluctant to ask a potentially stupid question, but am now very glad I did!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vej001

It's perfectly alright to ask these questions, can you imagine if you didn't ask and the shelves were installed? You would now have to remove the shelves which would require a lot of work and reconstruction. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the Multistore units installed in your wardrobe.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Awesome stuff @vej001 , I'm sure you'll do a great job when it's time. Feel free to update us or ask for more help if you need it in the future :smile: 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects