Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this textured wall and skirting?

PatGirl1
Getting Established

How to fix this textured wall and skirting?

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

  

IMG_5882.jpeg

   

IMG_5878.jpeg

PatGirl1
Getting Established

Re: Painted Wall + Rough Skirting Texture Problem

Hello, 

please any  tips on fixing this rough textured wall and skirting? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix this textured wall and skirting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PatGirl1. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get plenty of helpful advice and project ideas from our wonderful members.

Do you know what your walls are made of? It certainly looks like some rough repairs were made in the past. If members had a little more information about your walls they might be in a better position to suggest next steps. It could be that new plasterboard sheeting and replacing the skirting boards might be the best option rather than trying to repair. 

Let me tag some very helpful members in @Brad@Renowayoflife@Jewelleryrescue and @Remarka6le to share their thoughts on how they would go about tackling this project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Simon
Having an Impact

Hey @PatGirl1 , when you say "fix", are you looking to simply paint over a patch of discolouration? Looks like the skirting strip might be lifting up off the tiled floor as well?

It's a bit hard to tell by the photos, but there is possibly some moisture coming through from behind the wall? And possibly a previous owner/tenant used one type of paint to cover both wall and skirting strip. Some types of skirting are MDF, which won't hold up well in wet areas like bathroom and kitchens.

Example:https://www.bunnings.com.au/hanwood-2-4m-beige-oak-vinyl-wrap-floating-floor-scotia-trim_p0227383

Send through some more information, the Workshop community will be able to help 😊

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @PatGirl1 

Our floor edges certainly take a beating dont they.

If you just want to smooth out the rough parts of the timber then you could use something along the lines of a timber putty Timbermate wood putty 

This could then be sanded to the same shape of the existing skirting boards.

For the corner you could do the same tho I am not sure how sharp a point I would go. 

For sanding the existing trim I would hand sand using a sanding cork block and maybe start with 120grit sandpaper. Ive also used the bottom end of a marking pen wrapped in sandpaper to do those fine curves.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @PatGirl1 

It does look like water damage on this side of the monitor. Do you think it is?

PatGirl1
Getting Established

No, its not water damage. It’s been painted over a few times. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @PatGirl1 

Do you know where the water damage came from and have you fixed it? 

If you know the water damage has been fixed Id be tempted to remove the timber skirt and either strip it back from the existing painted surface or replace it.

If you remove it make sure you run a sharp knife edge along the top where the trim touches the wall to cut the paint so when you lever off the skirting board you dont take more paint/paper with you. It may sound scary to do but really is one of the eaiset jobs to do. (I was surpprised when I did mine)

Once you have sliced the paint, try to put down between the skirting board and the plaster a paint scrapper at least 50mm wide. Then once that is down you can slip a flat head screwdriver down between the metal plate and the timber to lever thetimber away gently. This way you are least likely to damage the plaster wall with the levering force needed. You will see the nails that hold the skirting to the wall and if you are going to install a new piece of skirting Id suggest to mark the wall with pencil where the nails go into so you know where to nail the new piece or old piece if you redo it afterwards.

You could still sand the chanel like I suggested and leave in situ if you are happy with the water issue being where it is. 

Dave 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PatGirl1,

Due to the multiple coats of paint and the rough texture that has developed, you'll likely need to sand the surface back to achieve smoother results. I recommend you start with 180-grit sandpaper and move down to 120-grit if needed. A sanding float will help you achieve a smooth and even surface. Once you've removed the majority of the texture from the wall, it can be skim coated with plaster before priming and painting

For the skirting, you'll likely need to spend some time hand-sanding. If you can't achieve sufficient results, I suggest considering replacing the length with a new skirting.

Before you begin, please verify that the wallboard does not contain asbestos and wear appropriate PPE, including a face mask and safety goggles.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great Thanks Mitchell. However, if the sandpaper, plaster priming and painting does not fix the equal balance and smoothness of the wall, could I fix it with a filler product or something similar? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects