Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix hole in concrete floor?

daniT
Growing in Experience

How to fix hole in concrete floor?

IMG_4486.jpeg

Please send me any advice or ideas on this as I am totally at a loss! I have a decent sized hole in the concrete floor in the corner of my bedroom where the two walls meet. I’d like to fix it but don’t know how, I’m unable to afford to get someone to fix it for me and I don’t want to delay any longer as I’m concerned that it is undermining the integrity of the walls as they are cracking. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

IMG_4478.jpeg

 it is fairly deep-I can fit a chisel into it up to the handle. In the last year or two it has worsened and a hole is starting on the other corner, and as you can see in the picture the walls appear to be separating from the concrete floor. Please help!

daniT
Growing in Experience

Re: hole in concrete floor help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

this is a picture of the exterior of the area-and one of the cracks happening at almost ceiling level of the same corner as the hole 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could contact the water corp, but I can't imagine the work or leak would have anything to do with the deterioration of your slab @daniT. It's more likely that the concrete in this area didn't have enough cement in it, or there was too much water. This leads to concrete that disintegrates. It's also not disappearing into nowhere, so there must be some type of void underneath the slab. This void could have potentially been caused by a severe water leak if it was in this vicinity.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniT
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for your help! I did have a look into the hole with one of those little cameras on a flexible bending wire-I just kept getting pushed up and into the cavity between the bricks of the wall 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @daniT 

I would definitely contact the water board, but don't initially take your problem to them.... they will likely go into self-protect mode and tell you nothing.

Just inquire as to what they were doing and what they found - and ask if there is anything that you should be concerned about on your property as a result.

They should then be honest with you as it would be a severe neglect of care for them to lie or even sidestep such a question. 

Best inquire by email, since then you will get a written response - the spoken word is useless, while written responses will be more carefully crafted since they could be used in a court if the Water Authority were found to be either liable for your damage or to have lied to you in a way that resulted in you being uninformed about what the correct action might be.  

If their work was something minor then they will tell you, so at least that line of inquiry can be put to rest.

I also agree that you should see if you can get a free quote (or two), so that you may get some better ideas of what you are dealing with before proceeding, in whatever way you decide to.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects