Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix coffee table that has been sanded too much?

sareh
Cultivating a Following

How to fix coffee table that has been sanded too much?

So I thought I would give this 20 plus year old coffee table a glow up. It was a custom made piece and I thought under all the coating I would have a nice piece of wood ( seeing that it was custom made that’s what I thought). Obviously not and now I’ve sanded through a bit too much. How can I fix this? I was wanting to just put an SFO on there but I’m worried the part I’ve sanded  through will be too obvious. Thoughts? 

I was thinking of having white base with timeber top.  I could get a filler but then would that mean i would have to paint wash? AAAHHH this is too hard lol

IMG_9051.jpeg

 PIC 1: the table

IMG_9054.jpeg

 PIC 2: Sanding this was a nightmare, my wrists were aching.

IMG_9091.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg

 You can see the particle board on the edge :unhappy:

IMG_9114.jpeg

  2 coats of Zinser 3 in 1

sareh
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to fix coffee table that has been sanded too much?

@daniknight4 @Thank you. Have sanded back lightly. Not sure exactly what it’s done but I drew in some grains 😂. I think I’ll stop and just wait for my paint to arrive and see what happens. It was instant regret. 

IMG_9132.jpeg

@sareh I think it will be ok the wash should even it all out and hopefully tie it all together. I bet no one will even notice😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sareh 

I propose using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 600 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll to gently remove the remaining filler in the timber. I suggest going slowly and only in the areas where the filler has infiltrated. Your goal is to recover the finish you've achieved. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sareh
Cultivating a Following

@EricL @Thank you. Not as big but still obvious. I’m hoping the paint wash will sort it a bit. I had an 800 grit so I used that. Out of all the grits I have at home 600 was not one lol

IMG_9135.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sareh 

The 800 grit will work just as well. Remember to sand in a single direction only and avoid circular sanding. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your table painted and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects