Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a circular dining table?

sunflowerz
Just Starting Out

How to create a circular dining table?

Hello - I am in the process of making this table and have completed the base however I am really struggling to find suitable wood for the table top. I wanted to use Tasmanian Oak but my local Bunnings has a very small range of this and I don't think it would be thick enough (its 19mm thick). 

Any suggestions please of what I could use as a table top? Ive searched quite a few local saw mills and they have nothing suitable

thanksScreen Shot 2024-02-13 at 2.32.59 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a circular dining table?

Hello @sunflowerz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a circular dining table.

There are several ways to create your circular top even with smaller pieces of timber. However, can you please tell us the size of the tabletop? This will help us to figure out what timber to use for your project. We can then make recommendations on how to put it together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI Eric,

Ive got a circular saw and also a Jigsaw.  cutting it isn't an issue for me - I am just struggling to find the correct pieces and types of timber

Thank you.

Im looking at 1000mm in diameter 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sunflowerz 

One method to reach the size you are after is to use the Specrite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel. Cut the panel in half and join them together using dowels or biscuits. I then recommend using Kaboodle Benchtop Joiner to clamp them together. 

Another way to join benchtops together is to use timber supports at the bottom and strapping the benchtops together to make sure that the glue used goes deep into the pores. Use trailer straps to anchor the table if you don't have the necessary mechanical clamps.

It would be easier to create a larger tabletop that goes past the 1000mm diameter you've mentioned. But if you still want an exact top, it is possible to trim the joined benchtops to the size that you want. I suggest having a look at the available timber panels at the store.

Let me call on our experienced member @JoeAzza for his recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects