Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an internal stud wall for a fireplace?

Heath80
Getting Established

How to build an internal stud wall for a fireplace?

Afternoon

Just a question regarding building an internal stud wall 

Is there a resource where you can look at plans and materials?

Our goal is to have something like the first picture

It's quite an open space as you can see, lots of work room

Screenshot_20230905_134111_Chrome.jpg20230905_082410.jpg20230905_082358.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build an internal stud wall for a fireplace?

Hi @Heath80,

Given a fireplace is involved, I would direct you to the safety message at the end of this popular project by @craftyhopper:

"It is essential that your wood fired heater is installed by a qualified professional and that all installation guidelines provided by the manufacturer are followed. This includes maintaining proper clearance to combustible materials, adhering to installation distance requirements, and meeting the necessary hearth specifications."

You might also want to check in with your local council regarding requirements. 

Let me also tag helpful members @Jimi and @Adam_W for their thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an internal stud wall for a fireplace?

Hi @Heath80,

It is great to see that @Jason has already pointed you to some excellent advice surrounding the safety requirements for this project. Once you viewed the requirements from the heater manufacturer and liaised with your installer, you'll be able to determine what type of surround can be created. You'll find these step-by-step guides helpful: How to build a stud wall and How to plasterboard a stud wall.

Just to reiterate, you'll need to build and design the structure as per the guides and regulations on the type of fireplace you'll have installed. This would typically include allowing for sufficient air gaps, ventilation, and suitable fire-proof material and linings. If in doubt, I recommend you have the fireplace installed by a professional and the walls and enclosure, too.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects