Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a spare Room from space in living room?

lavanya
Growing in Experience

How to build a spare Room from space in living room?

Hi Bunnings Team,

I have a living room which is quite big and trying to divide , not looking for room dividers which I  have checked previously.

As I would like to have a spare room , the shape of the room is like "C" with one side entry to alfresco, 2 sides is wall .. How can we build in a separate room for my mediation purpose and reading purpose.. any ideaspls. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a spare Room from space in living room?

Hello @lavanya

In order for us to get a better idea of the rooms shape, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area? If you are after a temporary divider would a curtain work for your purposes? How about a folding panel divider? Was there a specific divider you had in mind or were you just thinking of dividing the room by using appliances?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lavanya
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response.

I 'm looking for appliances as per my opinion ..happy to hear more ideas, attached is the pic.

With having like a room will in the middle (build to the wall support between windows) will give like a room look and noise proof:).actual room pic.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lavanya 

I would also like to suggest having a look at this discussion - Garage mud room build using Flexi Storage by @HousevsSarah. The flexi storage system is an excellent D.I.Y. cabinetry system that you can use as a divider to store your books and craft materials. If you don't want it so high, you can do this kind of divider - Cube storage for spare room by @Carol_Prime. One other way to create a divider is to build a - D.I.Y. cube storage unit by @Stephen-H 

However, if you are after an effective silent room, I recommend building a stud wall and creating a room with a sliding door.

Here are some handy-step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

lavanya
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your ideas all are brilliant.

Creating a stud wall serves my purpose.Can bunnings team assist on this project, if so please share the procedure. 

Thanks

Lavy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lavanya,

We don't currently offer an in-home building service for partition walls, but the team at your local Bunnings can certainly assist by helping you select materials and cutting your timber studs to length. If you are not keen on completing this project yourself, I suggest using services like Hipages to locate a qualified professional in your area.

Since you're looking to reduce room noise, I recommend reading through this helpful guide on How to soundproof your home.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

lavanya
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Hope your doing well.

Thank you for the idea .. does Bunnings offer bamboo roller blinds for this project.

Thanks

Lavy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We certainly do have a range of bamboo blinds @lavanya. There is also a selection of bamboo screens you could incorporate.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects