Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a magnetic whiteboard wall?

Fancypants
Just Starting Out

How to build a magnetic whiteboard wall?

I work from home and currently have a couple of smaller framed magnetic whiteboards on the wall above and next to my desk. I'd like to create a more streamlined/minimal look that covers the whole space above my desk while retaining the magnetic and whiteboard functions. I'm thinking of using an adhesive whiteboard roll/film and attaching that to a piece of sheet metal of some kind, then putting that up on the wall (brick), but haven't gotten any further than that - any ideas for the sheet metal/backing or how to put it together and attach to the wall?

IMG_9529.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a magnetic whiteboard wall?

Hello @Fancypants 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about making your own magnetic whiteboard.

Your idea of using a whiteboard film across a steel sheet is actually a very clever idea. I suggest visiting the store and having a look at the Australian Handyman Supplies 1200 x 600 x 0.75mm Galvabond Mini Sheet

Because it is a galvanized surface, I suggest spraying a primer over it if you plan on using a whiteboard film such as the Pillar 0.9 x 2m Whiteboard Adhesive Window Film. There is also the option of using the A&I Coatings 750ml White Board Write Wall Paint Kit

to prevent the steel sheet from overly flexing when being used, I suggest mounting it with silicone to a piece of MDF or your timber of choice. Once you've assembled the whiteboard, I propose using wall plugs and screws to mount the whiteboard to your brick wall.

There is always the option of getting a premade board such as the Quartet Basics 90x60cm Magnetic Dry-Erase Whiteboard w/ Marker/Magnets

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric - can you please advise what silicone would be good to use to stick the galvabond sheet to the MDF? Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fancypants 

I suggest using Parfix 300g Clear All Purpose Silicone, it is a neutral cure silicone and will not corrode the galvanized steel its applied on.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects