Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add privacy to main and back door windows?

rohitbudhiraja
Finding My Feet

How to add privacy to main and back door windows?

Hi Community Members,

I'm reaching out to seek your valuable opinions and suggestions regarding the window coverings for the windows next to my main door (image included) and back door (image not included but similar design).

I'm looking for a solution that provides privacy during the night while allowing natural daylight during the day. I've tried sheer curtains, but they offer minimal privacy at night. I've also purchased blackout curtains, but I find them challenging to contain them behind the door to allow daylight.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for alternatives to curtains or specific types of curtains that effectively balance privacy at night and the desire for natural daylight during the day.

Your insights and experiences will be incredibly helpful in making an informed decision.

PS: I would like to cover half only of the window above the door.

Rohit

Main door.jpeg

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Night privacy

Afternoon @rohitbudhiraja 

Mmmm thinking hard as you want both the blocking and the privacy but allow light through..

My firstthought is lace curtains. Old school I know but they still let light through but block direct line of sight. So if the width of the window is 700mm then you need 14mm of fabric so it weaves. This stops the viewing direct through.

You could also buy contact that makes the windows look frosted so you cant see through them. Window films  at Bunnings shows a range of options.

One that I used myself for two different locations was CD's stitched together with paper clips. They really work in creating privacy and also lower the temp in summer and keep it warmer in winter. Here are the two projects.

Recyled CD's used as a window screen  (The discs dont blow around near the door surprisingly and have beein in situ for 3 + years)

and

Recyled CD's used as a window curtain (The discs dont move around in the wind, this batch is back to back cds so shiny both sides 1.5 years old)

Lastly id like to say a warm Welcome to the Bunnings community page, so many people have ideas surely someone will have something that fits or you can modify for any type of question :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add privacy to main and back door windows?

You mentioned you'd had issues containing the blockout curtains during the day, @rohitbudhiraja. How have you gone about doing so? Have you tried using curtain tiebacks

Alternatively, what about using Venetian blinds? Not the old metal style with the thin blades, the ones now have lovely wide timber or PVC blades. They're my favourite type of blind as they can be retracted entirely to brighten the space, closed fully for privacy, or the blades can be tilted to provide a little of both.

Here's a helpful guide: How to choose the perfect blinds.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you made any progress with your project @rohitbudhiraja?

Just thought I'd mention that Bunnings has a service to install curtains, blinds and shutters.

Please let us know if we can assist further.

Jason

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Another option would be to get them tinted. It lets you still see out in the day time, give privacy and still allow light in. However at night it would not provide privacy, JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rohitbudhiraja 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend installing roller blinds to cover the door and window. It's easy to install, you can cover only the space that you want and when it rolls up in the morning it is out of the way and does not bunch up.

It's also possible to get a combined day and night roller blind set so that you can control the amount of sunlight coming into the room. You want it only halfway down? It can do that as well.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects