Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add panelling to a square set opening?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to add panelling to a square set opening?

Hello BW,

This is another project on Square Set opening with either Timber or metal material.

Some of the sample Square Set Opening is provider below, where Timber is used for the design on one photo and metal on another. 

nagumuthu_0-1677911935930.png

nagumuthu_1-1677911973953.png

I would like to have any one of the above design in my living room in the space as shown here under.

nagumuthu_3-1677912351365.png

The questions, I had are (for Timber material)

1. What timber material is fit for the purpose.

2. For painting in in light brown to match with the shelfing, should I remove the shelf door and compare with the paint cards for exact match.

3. How to fix the timber frame, exactly in the square set opening. On above image, I could not find any screws for fixing it in square set opening. Is there a quick fix mechanism available for locking the frame within the opening.

(if it is for steel),

1. Can bunnings assist on laser cut for above design.

2. Does Bunnings sell any design in Steel frame that I can paint and fix in to the opening.

3. How to fix the metal frame in to the square set opening. Is there a quick fix mechanism available for locking the frame within the opening.

Hoping to work on this project with your recommendation and assistance.

Happy Maintaining your space.

Thanks
MM

Re: Square Set Opening

Hi @nagumuthu,

You'll need to create frames for the individual panels as @Noyade has pictured. That will give them the sturdiness needed.

As mentioned previously, it is possible to paint plastic panels. I'd suggest using a surface preparation product like Flood 500ml ESP Easy Surface Paint Preparation to ensure your paint sticks to the plastic.

Hidden screws a certainly a possibility, as described above.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @Noyade 

That’s very cool. A good idea to amalgamate timber and the panel.

Thanks @MitchellMc for the quick message.

Will work further down.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hey @nagumuthu 

"A good idea to amalgamate timber and the panel."

Actually, I got sidetracked and never showed you my idea. 😁

What I was trying to say was - maybe purchase a panel and create your woodwork on either side - ultimately less woodwork for you.

Scan1264.jpg

Mind you - some of those panels (metal) are around the $400 dollar mark.

Hello @Noyade 

We are in same boat and that is what I imagined while posting.

Thanks for the picture.

Hello @MitchellMc @Noyade 

Created 3 designs as mentioned below using Aluminium Composite Panel (https://www.bunnings.com.au/900-x-1200mm-acp-profile-21-decorative-panel-unframed-gloss-black_p00339...) at the centre.

Color: Black, including the frames.

Design 1:

nagumuthu_0-1678456106803.png

Design 2: (The frame panel need to be drilled for circular holes using hole saw cutter on a pine panel which is cut to required size for the frame)

nagumuthu_1-1678456124721.png

Design 3:  Time angle cut using Mitre saw.

nagumuthu_2-1678456141000.png

As https://www.bunnings.com.au/900-x-1200mm-acp-profile-21-decorative-panel-unframed-gloss-black_p00339... is unframed, may you please share on how to mount the ACP (Aluminium Composite Panel) to the timber. Are frames available to mount ACP to the timber. After fitting the ACP in to the frame / mounting accessories, will the frame / accessories stand out affecting the overall look. I would like to place ACP without the accessories getting noticed, meaning it should like glued to timber frame (e.g. hidden screws). Can you please share your views on this. That confirms whether I have to allocate space for the accessories in calculating timber dimensions.

Happy Maintaining your space.

Thanks

MM

Hello @MitchellMc @Noyade 

May you please recommend a black paint (that match will ACP  (https://www.bunnings.com.au/900-x-1200mm-acp-profile-21-decorative-panel-unframed-gloss-black_p00339... - Glossy black)

Thanks

MM

Hi @nagumuthu,

If you don't want to use visible brackets to attach the panel to the timberwork, then I'd suggest you start by creating a timber frame around the panel. A simple frame can be constructed with three strips of timber as per the below rendering. Alternatively, you could glue the panel, but you would need to do so very neatly.

You'll need to do a test section to ensure this Dulux 1L Enamel Paint Aquanamel Gloss Black matches the ACP panel, but it should be very close.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects