Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How should I rejuvenate my dining table?

Frazwell88
Finding My Feet

How should I rejuvenate my dining table?

I have a wooden dining table (I'm guessing pine?) that has taken a decade of misery from our two young sons. Grime, scratches and general wear and tear.

I was recently given an electric sander and I'm wondering is it a straightforward DIY project to sand the top and re-coat it in varnish/protective covering? It came with a protective coating of something which will need to be sanded off.

Can you recommend a non toxic varnish that's suitable for a light wood dining table? Any guidance on the sanding process also appreciated!

Thankstable1.jpgtable2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How should I rejuvenate my dining table?

Hello @Frazwell88 

Thanks for sharing your question about rejuvenating your dining table. What a fantastic project to be undertaking, I've recently resealed my own dining table and revamping the surface is fairly straight forward. The general steps include sanding the surface back to timber and making sure that any residual sealer has been removed from the tables surface. It's then followed by cleaning and then the application of your choice of sealer.

I suggest starting with 180grit sandpaper then followed by the 240grit and finishing it off with 400 girt for a smooth finish. I propose using the Diablo 125mm 400 Grit Orbital SandNet Discs it is a complete set and has the sanding grit numbers I mentioned.

I recommend having a look at the Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It is a highly durable, heat and stain-resistant, a fast-drying varnish that is safe for use on living area and kitchen timber benchtops when the surface is fully cured. Once fully cured, it is resistant to chemicals, oils and heat from hot cups/mugs.

I also suggest having a look at Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander to help speed up the sanding process.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

If you have any other questions we can help withy, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects