Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace a remote controlled ceiling fan not connected to mains electricity?

Sarah777
Getting Established

How do I replace a remote controlled ceiling fan not connected to mains electricity?

Hi, is it complicated to replace a remote controlled ceiling fan with light if it’s not connected to mains? How do these fans/lights work if they’re not wired?

I also have a ceiling fan that is hard wired that I’d like to replace with hard wired. Do I need an electrician to do that?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How do I replace a remote controlled ceiling fan thot is not connected to mains electricity?

Good Evening @Sarah777 

A couple of questions to start with and before I get into it I would like to say hello :smile: and welcome you to the Bunnings community pages :smile: Its agreat place to source a whole bunch of information.

So questions are....

Are you getting rid of the fan and replacing it with a light?

Or

Are you wanting to add a fan with a light to replace the existing remote controlled fan you have?

The remote fans dont use a third wire to control the fan so they are easiest to install. They pick up their power from the light circuit I think (You dont need to run an extra wire down the wall for the controller is why its easier to install them)

You will need an electricain whichever way you decide to go in replacing the fan/s. 

If your existing ceiling fan and control for it are hard wired then its resonably easy to switch it over (tho can be fidly depending on how  the original one was installed)

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I replace a remote controlled ceiling fan thot is not connected to mains electricity?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sarah777. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing ceiling fans.

So, all ceiling fans are connected to mains power. A remote-controlled ceiling fan, as @Dave-1 mentioned, simply means the remote control is not wired; the actual fan on the ceiling is still connected to mains power. 

Replacing a non-remote-controlled ceiling fan with a remote-controlled version is quite easy; an electrician can swap them over.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sarah777
Getting Established

Thanks Dave, I want to replace 3 ceiling fans with lights that have wall power knobs with remote fan & light and then replace the ceiling fan in the living area that has a light , with one that doesn’t and have the light separate.

Guessing that means separating the wires and the ones for the light then comes through another hole in the ceiling where the light will go?

Thanks Mitchell, you and Dave have given me a clear picture of what is going on behind my ceiling fans :smile:

it sounds pretty straightforward 😊

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Sarah777 

You will need extra wires for sure, I was thinking of it last night and  think I ran two wires when I did  my fans years ago (Yeah I am a sparky) I would recommend you get a qualified person to do the job as even tho I am one, it took a while to do the job (and I was lucky with the walls being as they were for me to run new cables.) and you need knowledge of how to connect them.

Dave

Sarah777
Getting Established

Ok, thank you, I guess playing with electricity is not a good idea anyway 🤯 

What about light fittings, can I change them myself?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Sarah777 

Noooooo :smile:

However you can change the light shade/fittings without an issue. 

There are plenty   of types that look like you have used a professional (but dont need to) that can be used to jazz an area up as the phrase says. If you get to the point of disconnecting a wire ever, then you have gone way to far.

Some lamp/light shades have three screws around the rim that holds the shade to the light fitting. These any of us can do. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects