Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i remove light scratches on a timber floor?

sallyF
Finding My Feet

How can i remove light scratches on a timber floor?

10419FFE-FF64-4FE7-B5E6-16C1ABA4CD74.jpeg

Hi

i have very light scratches on my polyurethane floorboards. 
someone suggested butter. 
I don’t know the technical name. 
also do crayons work. 
thanks 

Sally 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i remove light scratches on a timber floor?

Hello @sallyF 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing light scratches on your timber floor.

I suggest using Waxstix to cover up the scratches on your floor. Using butter would only contaminate the interior of the wood causing it to get stained. Crayons will work but will not last as long as the Waxstix which are designed to repair scratches on wooden panels.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @sallyF

An old trick  for timber scratches was to make a 4 tea bag pot of tea or in a cup and the tanins or tea  stain would be wiped onto the floor allowing the scratches to gain darkness to match the floor/ furniture colour weather this works on Polyurethane scratches and the under layer maybe you can try it and tell us. An old take on a modern  product.

Slowly use a  cloth or cotton ball soaked in tea to build up colour in the stain to match. try not over staining floor scratches as you will have dark  lines   instead of white.  Maybe let the stain dry when you are close and let it dry as when wet the stain looks darker  keep the tea stain in a cup for the short term  cold tea works the same.

@EricL  solution of a wax stick can then be applied in  a clear as this helps fill the scratch micro void into a stained and filled  micro scratch.  

Hope this helps

Hi Eric  

I was thinking of seeing if Waxstix would help so thank you for that. 

Sally

Thank you

i will try that.  I did use a tea bag at one stage but it didn’t seem to make any difference.  
Think I need to slowly build up.  
I’ll see how your suggested method goes. 

Hi @sallyF 

If the teabag stage one fails then the plastic isnt taking the light staining.  So what  do we try next? Maybye clear wax alone  will obscure the scratches using its light index to bend Or a  brown tinted  wax?

I have updated my mental records tea dosnt work on plastics, thank you so much for tryng.  Respect. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects