Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I build a marble background for TV wall?

adam2001
Just Starting Out

How can I build a marble background for TV wall?

I’m trying to figure out how I can do the marble look effect behind my tv.  It needs to stick out of the wall. How big should the framing timber needs to be and how can I fix the framing timber to the studs. The framing will be screwed from the thin side so i can get that pushing out effect. If you can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

IMG_2301.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I build a marble background for TV wall?

Hi @adam2001,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. We look forward to seeing this project come together.

So members can provide the most helpful and specific advice, can you please tell us what you are using for the marble-look background? For example, do you already have some tiles you plan on using or are you going to try to replicate the marble look with paint? I just imagine that the weight of this background is going to be really important for members to know in order to provide advice about how to construct and attach the frame. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
adam2001
Just Starting Out

IMG_2301.png

Hi Jason,

thank you for your reply. it will be a tv backdrop. I’m planning on using pvc marble sheets to get marble look. So basically there will be some timber framing attached to the studs, then 12-15mm plywood fixed to the framing and marble (pvc) goes on top of it. Total weight will not exceed 40 kg +15kg tv . I’m not sure how I can fix the frame of this to the existing stud work. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @adam2001,

Fixing your framing to the studs will be fairly straightforward as you'll just pre-drill and screw straight through it into the studs behind. I'd recommend trying to mimic the studs behind and installing your corresponding frame over the plasterboard. You'll need at least three horizontal framing timbers and some vertical pieces on top of the studs. Your first step will be grabbing a stud finder and mapping out the stud work behind the plasterboard to see what that looks like.

Whilst creating the stud work, you'll need to make sure that you create mounting points for your television bracket. I've created the below rendering for you to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects