Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hamptons-inspired dog ramp

Alicia_Woodwork
Building a Reputation

Hamptons-inspired dog ramp

My gorgeous Goldie, Charlie, was recently diagnosed with hip displacia. This condition makes ordinarily simple movements incredibly difficult. It is for this reason that I decided to build a ramp to allow her easy access to some cuddles on the bed. I worked hard to match the bed frame and decor in the room with bright whites and paneling to finish. 

Materials

Tools

Ryobi Drill 

AEG Drop Saw 

Ryobi Disc Sander

Steps

Step 1

IMG_5183.jpeg

Build the frame using 35x70mm untreated pine. If adding shelving or draws, ensure this is calculated in the frame build. Secure the frame with 75mm 10G Timber Screws.

Step 2

IMG_5251.jpeg

Carefully cut pine cladding to size and secure using 30mm 8G timber screws. Be sure to counter sink screws using a larger drill bit.

Step 3

IMG_5254.jpeg

Using 3mm coated MDF board, measure and cut shelving lining. Secure in place using indoor wood glue and 20mm 8G screws.

Step 4

IMG_5307.jpeg

Measure and cut the 9mm MDF top. Secure using countersunk 50mm 10G timber screws. Patch all screw holes and imperfections.

Step 5

IMG_5314.jpeg

Use white gap filler to seal the edges of the shelves. Sand the ramp back until the surface is completely smooth. Apply a coat of prime, followed by 1 coat of white wall paint.

Step 6

IMG_5317.jpeg

Add your chosen material to the ramp top.

Step 7

IMG_5364.jpeg

Upon installing the ramp and observing Charlie using it, I realised the carpet was far too slippery. I then replaced it with these great foam-based self-adhesive panels.

Re: Hamptons-inspired dog ramp

I was also wondering the same @AnnieOzi  @Alicia_Woodwork 

I have mini dashies, and have to watch their backs.  Along with a few other smaller dogs.  this is a great way to make a boring old ramp, useful storage.

This old gal

Re: Hamptons-inspired dog ramp

Hi Eric @EricL 

Thanks for the input.

This old Gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects