Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. rustic bench

TheSparrowHome
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. rustic bench

DIY Live Edge Bench Seat

Materials

Supplies:

• Specrite 1200 × 250 x 26mm Live Edge Timber Shelf Pine FJ Laminated (1800mm available 

• Adored 3/8” Angle Plate Leg Furniture Accessory - 2 Pack

• Adored 400mm Pine Round Tapered Furniture Leg x 4

• Sealer (I used @cabotsanz Clear CFP Floor - Water Based)

Tools

• Drill

• Screw Driver

• Paint Brush/Sponge

Steps

Step 1

IMG_8912.jpeg

1. Measure and mark brackets including holes and a side marker to ensure the brackets are level.

TIP

The brackets should be positioned so the legs meet the edge of the seat about 1/2 way down. This will ensure the legs don’t sit out further than the seat itself based on the angle of the brackets.

Step 2

IMG_8913.jpeg

2. Once marked, drill the centre hole. Then smaller outer holes and screw the brackets down.

TIP

Mark the depth of the hole required on your drill piece with masking tape.

Step 3

IMG_8915.jpeg

3. Screw on the legs & check it stands

TIP

All four legs should tight and angled from the centre outwards

Step 4

IMG_8916.jpeg

4. Add sealer/lacquer/oil

TIP

Always use a non-yellowing formula for sealers or a natural oil product to savour the tones of the wood. I have found @cabotsanz Clear CFP Floor - Water Based maintains the colour of the pine and protects surfaces really well.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY Rustic Bench

Hi @TheSparrowHome,

Congrats on your first project post! Thank you for sharing your rustic bench project journey with us and all your great tips. I think your choice to use a clear sealer for the bench has really captured the lovely tones in the timber, all the while protecting it.

Projects similar to yours often receive recognition in our Top Ideas articles, such as our Top 10 most popular indoor furniture projects. Perhaps your project will be showcased there someday! We hope Bunnings Workshop remains an invaluable source of advice and inspiration for you.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects