Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any ideas to glow up a fake fireplace and chimney?

androidhaig
Getting Established

Any ideas to glow up a fake fireplace and chimney?

We're in an old apartment built in the 70s and there's a strange fireplace/mantel that doesn't actually work. I can't tell if it's been bricked up or was never functional - but have recently discovered this gap in the top that is filled with heaps of gross black dust. 

Is there a good way to patch up the hole? Our place gets quite cold in the winter so I assume this is leaking a lot. It's also quite dusty so I assume this might be a culprit! 

Would also love any ideas for how we could use the space a bit better! Is it hard to remove the brick to install something in the space, or plaster over it so it looks better?

IMG_2547.jpegIMG_2548.jpegIMG_2549.jpegIMG_2550.jpegIMG_2551.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any ideas to glow up a fake fireplace and chimney?

Hi @androidhaig,

Thank you for your post looking for some ideas on how to glow up an old bricked in fireplace.

One thought I have is that you could turn it into a little "book nook" with some basic shelving, but it may be a little low for that.

Allow me to tag some of our resident style experts for some ideas @Renowayoflife, @diy_hausdesigns, @daniknight4.

Jacob

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Hi @androidhaig 

Maybe it might be easier to cover the entire chimney wall panel, if that's safe, not just the opening maybe with a piece of decorative paneling maybe VJ paneling or even something more modern like a wooden fluted style.  To cover the brick piece on the floor you could put a bench seat but built in like a box, maybe something you could open for storage and so that it would hide the brick. Then you could cosy it up with cushions and a rug:) Just a thought:)

.Something like this maybe?Something like this maybe?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @androidhaig,

You could cut a timber board to cover the gap at the top and fix it to the masonry. Alternatively, you could fill the void with expanding foam, which would be the easier option. The foam can be trimmed flush with the top of the fireplace and painted to conceal it.

For the space itself, how about adding a couple of wine racks stacked on top of each other? Something like this Artiss 12 Bottle Wine Rack - Natural might work. I've seen short lengths of firewood logs stacked within a fireplace to great effect. A neatly placed ornate mirror could look good too.

I do like @daniknight4's idea, and covering over the existing panelling with some new VJ panelling would look great.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!

Is it possible to have the VJ panelling cut into pieces and glue it onto each brick surface? I'm keen to cover up all the brick if possible. 

Or would it be better to use VJ panelling just for the back wall, and then use something else to plaster over the other brick surfaces? 

You could cut a sheet of VJ panel to suit the internal surfaces, @androidhaig. However, those cuts would not be possible on our saws as they are too small. You should be able to have one piece cut for the back wall though.

I was thinking more of sheeting over the face of the fireplace to disguise its presence entirely. You'd still have the hearth at the bottom, though. 

Obviously, if you just use VJ panelling over the section that is exposed, it wouldn't match the surrounding wall. I'd recommend you panel over the whole area ar marked below.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects