Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix gap around fridge?

oneteaspoon
Growing in Experience

How to fix gap around fridge?

This is my fridge gap and I’m looking at getting a new fridge. The gap is small and the fridges I’m looking are taller than the gap.

I have removed the doors off the cabinet with the intention of removing the entire frame however as I removed screws the gap filler on the right fell out. There is a lot of dust on the inside of the gap filler which makes me think there is holes for it to be coming from. I’m not entirely sure what is happening behind this cabinet as looking up at the ceiling looks like unfilled gaps or something. 

Fridge GapFridge Gap

Gap between Cabinet and wallGap between Cabinet and wall               Dust on Gap fillerDust on Gap filler                 Area behind Cabinet to ceilingArea behind Cabinet to ceiling          

Area behind Cabinet to ceilingArea behind Cabinet to ceiling                      Area behind Cabinet to ceilingArea behind Cabinet to ceiling

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is happening behind this Kitchen Cabinet / Fridge Gap

Hi @oneteaspoon,

So, the recess was initially built and finished with cornices on all three sides at the top. In order to fit in the cabinet, they removed the cornice on the sides but left it at the rear. As you look up there, you can see the exposed gaps between the plasterboard on the walls and on the ceiling.

You're fine to remove the cabinet, but you'll need to replace the cornice to finish off the top of the recess and cover the gaps. Alternatively, you could replace the current cabinet with a slimline cabinet that would fit above your new fridge. This would save you from having to repair the cornice and also provide storage space.

Here's a helpful guide: How to install cornice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects