Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Water filtration - post tank, post pump, or under sink?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Water filtration - post tank, post pump, or under sink?

Hi Team,

I have 2 questions about water filtration, please:

• All of my water comes from my rain tank, which is fed by both rain water off the roof, and unfiltered river water via a local community system. At minimum, I'd like to install a filter under the kitchen sink which would filter both hot and cold pipes, and deliver the filtered water out of my Mondella Matte Black Rumba Side lever Sink Mixer. I saw a post where @EricL suggested the Stefani Twin Undersink Water Filtration System and with good information around why it was suggested. Sadly, this unit has a poor rating due to flooding etc., so I'll pass on that one. Is there another filter unit you'd suggest, be it single or twin cartridge?
  • The second question is around filtering the water either out of the tank before the pump, or out of the pump before entering the house. This would filter all water entering the house including the toilet, shower and vanity. As an extra curve ball to consider, I'm about to have a garden tap installed post pump so I may access a pressurised hose to fight fires with (Nymboida area), and of course this needs to be max flow, no filtration required unless it's a particularly fussy fire. This makes me lean towards a filter post pump and before the house as the ideal location (and would exclude the garden hose). Could you please suggest a filter which could be utilised here? If it helps, all of the piping from the pump onward is standard copper the same as what's used within the house, so perhaps a couple of threads could be cut and mounted allowing me to simply install a filter easily, similar to the under sink kitchen unit.

I hope all this makes sense. Apologies if it's confusing. It makes sense in my head!

Thanks in anticipation,

Jason

Re: Water filtration - post tank, post pump, or under sink?

Hi @EricL ,

Let me start by saying that I'm a little fired up so forgive me if any of this post sounds abrasive, that is not my intention whatsoever.

Based on great reviews, researching filtration on the Bunnings website, and discussing it on the Workshop to discuss the pro's and con's of different brands and cartridges, as well as insight provided by the Stefani micron explanation guide, I bought the Stefani Ultimate system. Right from the outset I expected with a name like 'Ultimate' that it would offer the best filtration possible.

Now, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, and as the saying goes, "You don't know what you don't know", but I think there are a couple of things that have caught me out here;

• When I type Stefani Ultimate into the search field of the Bunnings website, there are 4 cartridges, plus the Ultimate system, returned in the search results. This indicates to me that these products types are compatible with each other.
  • The name 'Ultimate' indicates to me that Stefani offer no better filtration system, this is the pinnacle of their filtration offering. However, with hindsight, being limited to a 1 micron cartridge clearly isn't.

I'm disappointed that this unit is not compatible with the 0.2 filter cartridge, which I would very much like to install, given I only have access to tank water, albeit from 2 different sources (river and roof). May I ask, what are my return or exchange options for a unit which will allow me to utilise a 0.2 micron filter? This may not be your field of expertise but I thought I'd ask here first.

As always, thank you and regards,

Jason I

I do apologise for the confusion @BoeingFan.

The Stefani Ultimate is a compact system with easy-to-replace filters. However, it is limited to a 1-micron filter. It would be the Stefani Twin/Triple Undersink Water Filtration Systems that are compatible with the carbon 0.2-micron filters. 

I appreciate your frustration of purchasing the "ultimate" unit to find out that it does not accept your desired filter, and I have passed that feedback on to Stefani. I'll also provide your feedback to our team regarding the search results on the site.

We are more than happy to return the unit as it does not suit your needs. I've sent you a PM to help organise this.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc ,

The Stefani Triple filter is installed and filtering like a beauty. Thank you @EricL and @MitchellMc for helping me to learn about filtration and to end up with the system that works best for my situation, I appreciate it wholeheartedly.

Triple Undersink System With 0.2 Micron CartridgeTriple Undersink System With 0.2 Micron CartridgeIn-situ and Going Great So FarIn-situ and Going Great So Far

Cheers,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects