Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn a solid timber dining table into a kitchen island?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

How to turn a solid timber dining table into a kitchen island?

Hello all,

I recently had the good fortune where a couple of friends found a dark brown solid timber dining table for me on a marketplace for $50. I was on the lookout for a good strong table to serve as both a dining table, and a kitchen island. I've sanded the table back, and given it 3 coats of white paint, and it looks fantastic.

Currently, the clearance underneath the table is 630mm as there are 2 chunky supporting beams running the length of the table. I need to raise the table by >220mm to increase the clearance of to >850mm, to park our Bellini dishwasher and 850mm high LG washing machine underneath. This would mean a totale table height of >970mm. A few extra mm's for good measure would be fine.

Here is an image to help visualise what I mean:

Table to Island.jpgIMG_3402 - Copy.JPG

I'd appreciate your guidance for how to go about this, please. I don't know if adding a solid piece the entire width at the floor level or simply an extension piece on each leg would matter; I went with the entire width idea thinking it may maintain strength.

Thanks,
Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to turn a solid timber dining table into a kitchen island?

Morning @BoeingFan 

Now thats handy :smile: Envious that you have a mate with a portable sawmill :smile: Serioulsy nice!

Would love to see a pic or two of the raised table/bench when you finish it? 

Dave

Re: How to turn a solid timber dining table into a kitchen island?

Howd @Dave-1 

It is handy mate, and I'll be sure to oblige with pics when she's finished.

Cheers,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects