Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat wood borer?

MelanieKS
Finding My Feet

How to treat wood borer?

I have an upcycled solid wood table (treated) and I have owned it for 9 months. I recently noticed circular/powdery deposit at the base of two of the table legs. They look like wood borers. I have not seen any wood borer though. I would like to ask if this is indeed the work of wood borers and which is the best product top treat it? Thanks!

IMG_2510.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to treat wood borer?

Hi @MelanieKS,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined us and thank you for your question about wood borers. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist, but let me also tag our woodworking Workshop members @JoeAzza@Brad, and @robchin to see if they have encountered something similar and how they solved it. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @KatieC for looping me in. Hi @MelanieKS 

Sorry to hear about your problem. Borers are hungry and this will get worse if you don't treat it straight away. The sawdust you can see is actually the Frass, its what appears when the borer form of the insect develops and eats its way out of the wood that their larval form are living in. By the time you see the frass, the insects have emerged so hard to control then. Looks like you have a good infestation there, so it is still worth treating.

I work for Bunnings, and we sell this product which I think you could use to treat the problem: Hovex 2L Termite Defender - Bunnings Australia.

I would be taking it outside to treat if you can and always read the instructions and wear the recommended PPE. Give it a good spray as directed BUT I would be doing a little test spray on a bit of the wood that is not obvious to ensure it doesn't mark/colour the wood.  

Finally - you may need to treat more than once depending on the infestation and don't be surprised if you see more frass until you have completely controlled the infestation. Good luck. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MelanieKS 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @robchin. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend checking the drawers and other parts of your table for borer infestation. 

I propose using a small needle dipped in the Hovex 2L Termite Defender and piercing as many holes as possible with the insecticide. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when handling the insecticide. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks for all the advice and tips, this is so useful!! 

Thanks Eric! We'll be sure to check the other bits as well. Appreciate the advice!

Hi @MelanieKS,

I just wanted to clarify some previous advice that my colleague @EricL provided. As @robchin mentioned, please read and follow the instructions on the packaging and wear the required PPE when opening the container, preparing, and using the product. Those include wearing cotton overalls buttoned to the neck and wrist and a washable hat, elbow-length PVC gloves and a face shield.

Also, the approved methods of application are with a brush, roller, dipping or spraying.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi,

I have just discovered borers in a timber bookshelf. Unfortunately the Hovex termite defender product is not available at my local Bunnings. However I do have Hovex ultra-lo-odour termite and insecticide concentrate. Would this be suitable and safe to use to spray on the bookshelf? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daniela123. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treating termites.

The Hovex 1L Ultra Lo-Odour Termite Concentrate is suitable for indoor use and for treating termites in timber. Remember to follow the guidelines on the packaging and wear the specified PPE. As mentioned previously in this discussion, it would be best to take the unit outside whilst applying the product.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects