Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to strengthen pantry shelf?

IreneG
Finding My Feet

How to strengthen pantry shelf?

c4be239e-e1b9-4b48-b1b8-0d93f6ad1be6.jpg

Hi,

We built our house about 5 years ago (by a 'project home builder') and our pantry shelves are quite thin. My husband forbids me to put heavy things on the shelves in case they sag. That's defeating the purpose of having a pantry to keep the kitchen tidy and to store our foodstuff. Does anyone have any idea how to strengthen the shelves? The shelves are about 1.2 - 1.5m long (estimation) and maybe 45cm deep. I was thinking of using some metal brackets under the shelves. Will that work and how easy is that? I can't get my husband to do it and I was wondering if I need to get someone on Air Tasker to do it.

Thanks.

Irene

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to strengthen pantry shelf?

Hello @IreneG

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your pantry shelf. 

A good way to reinforce your shelves is to build a frame underneath them. I suggest using Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding Pine DAR Clear in combination with Zenith 8G x 30mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 35 Pack. I propose building a box frame under the shelf and securely screwing it to the shelf.

I've placed a sample sketch to give you an idea of how to build the frame and secure it to the shelf. You'll need a hand saw, drill, pencil ruler and an 8 gauge timber drill bit along with a Philips screw bit to drive the screws into the timber. Please have a look at the sketches and let me know what you think.

Please note that the measurements are for reference only, make sure to adjust them to your needs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @IreneG 

Your husband is right over  time those shelves will slowly sag if weight is in the middle.  So put the weighty stuff on the sides of the shelves near the wall the weight will be supported better.

@EricL  plans as shown will let you hold a lot of weight too while supported too.  So you can  have options.

But if you add  a single timber edge  40mm by  18mm as @EricL plan uses   screw it every 20 cm from the top of the bench into the timber  edge underneath (pre drill holes  through shelf) will also instantly quadruple or more shelf  weight abilities with out warping. 

See my shelves its being 22 years we never worry about normal grocery weights  heavy sauces  etc. zero sag. lifes to short  to worry about shelf sag.

Notice larger timber for lower shelf for more weight.Notice larger timber for lower shelf for more weight.  If you add a  70mm by 19mm timber that will support full large  jars with a single edge underneath shelf  or mine  have the timber screwed along the front. 

Under  shelf viewUnder shelf view

If you have super heavy bulk stuff I made a  simple draws with  basic wheels underneath and the wheel save you having to climb under the bottom shelf to the far back.

Floor draw on wheelsFloor draw on wheels

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @IreneG 

Is it just that one shelf you've shown above, or all the shelves in your pantry?

Are the shelves supported on the sides by shelf support pins? 

Hi Noyade,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry. I'm new to this page and couldn't find my way back to the question and reply. :unhappy:

All the shelves are thin like my photo. :unhappy: They are supported by shelf support pins on the side but those pins are not enough for the weight for such long shelves.

Regards,

Irene G

Hi

Thank you for your ideas and sharing photos of your shelves. Your carpenter was clever to at least put different thickness for the shelves. Mine are all the same thickness.

I'll see if my husband can take up the idea of the undershelf timber. That sounds the least work. Maybe if I can learn to use the drill, I may be able to do it myself.

Regards,

Irene G

Thanks Eric. Thanks for giving the sketch. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see that you've received some help advice, @IreneG. Please let us know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @IreneG 

I know you can do  this.  If you feel you have   the desirer to do several projects why not in vest in you own first  drill. once you get the hang of it you will be no stopping you, Everybody can do it  (as a secret if you pre drill holes in  any material the screws will go in so much easier and straighter.)

Practice  drilling and screwing mabye an old bit of furnature  found on council pick up day and you  will find free wood to to practice on.

Ozito tools are good and cost effective too,  you  would needa set of drill bits (get the gold  coloured ones they last and  last) also  you will need screw driver tip sett a good  one is

Craftright 90 Piece Drill And Bits Set I/N: 0311353 $29.95 Various usefull screw driver tips and drills

Craftright 99 Piece Titanium Coated Drill Bit Set I/N: 0019576 $22.98  Titanium drill bits.

Ozito PXC 18V Drill Driver Kit I/N: 0299323 99.98  Drill battery and charger

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects