Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged chipboard drawers?

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

How to repair damaged chipboard drawers?

Example of one of the drawersExample of one of the drawersExample of a side panel when drawer is dismantledExample of a side panel when drawer is dismantledExample of digging out damaged chipboardExample of digging out damaged chipboardExample of refilling with sawdust and glue (not yet sanded)Example of refilling with sawdust and glue (not yet sanded)

Hello.  This is my first ever post.  We have purchased a unit and the kitchen needs a lot of work.  Before we rip parts out and replace, I want to have a crack at repairing.  My only expertise is from google haha.  As you can see, the kitchen drawers are in very bad shape.  They are chipboard, water damaged in places and the vinyl wrap is cracking everywhere.  As far as the chipboard itself, I have been having fun digging out the damaged parts and refilling with sawdust mixed with glue (Like a tooth filling haha).  The last picture is what a drawers side looks like when refilled.  I haven't sanded it yet as it is still drying.

My actual question is what to do with the vinyl wrap.  I'm wondering if I can remove it all, sand the bare chipboard smooth, prime, paint and waterproof it and leave the drawer bare like that without vinyl wrap? 

I am not keen on using adhesive wrap to recover them.

These are old drawers that do not have drawer runners, so I'm aware the cut out section for sliding will have to be very smooth.

If you think I can remove the vinyl, sand, prime, paint and waterproof, my big question is what products to use?  I currently have

Dulux PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer so can it use that for the primer?  As far as the paint and waterproofing, I have no idea....

I should mention that the front panel of the drawers where the handle is are in good condition, so they are not part of this question. 

Also, the drawers are not standard size, so we cannot just swap them with new drawers.  I assume they would have to be custom made.

Finally, apologies it isn't actually called vinyl wrap.  I'm still learning :smile:

Thanks heaps for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair damaged chipboard drawers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gloellas. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing chipboard drawers.

Your method appears to be working, and I haven't actually seen someone attempt a repair on swollen chipboard that's this damaged before, so good on you. My only concern is that by removing the vinyl wrap, you could compromise the structural integrity of the timber if it's only being held together by the wrap. If the timber feels quite solid, removing the wrap is possible. The Dulux primer you have would be suitable, but if the chipboard is not exceptionally smooth, you might need to do at least a couple of coats to get a good finish.

I'll be keen to see your results, so please do keep us updated. From the amount of skill you've shown so far, it looks like I might be pointing everyone who wants to repair water-damaged chipboard to this discussion.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the quick reply and helpful information.  I hadn't thought about the fact the vinyl might be keeping the drawer together.  You have convinced me to leave the vinyl on the drawers. 

I will have a think about how to make the damaged vinyl look good.  I saw a video where putty was added to the damaged part, and then sanded down to create a smooth transition from bare board to vinyl.  Then they painted over it all.  I might give that a crack.  

Thank you for the praise.  I will take photos as I work on the drawers to add down the track.  

Cheers

Gayle

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Gloellas just a suggestion, if you have another draw in your kitchen that is not used a lot, you can try to swap the draws over to where the damaged draw was originally, this will hopefully prolong the use of the drawers until you are able to update your cupboards, if this is not possible you could try going to a local cabinet maker and ask them to make a replacement drawer for you. Hope this helps.

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Hi JoeAzza,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately there are no other drawers to swap.  The option of having new drawers made up (4 in total) is definitely on the cards.  I just figure I have nothing to lose by having a play with them myself first. 🙂

Cheers

Gayle 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Gayle @Gloellas 

I'm sure we had the same kitchen!  😁

How are you getting on with the repairs?

I do remember making one side with a table-saw, router and pine. Any chance of you doing the same?

There were also Blum fittings available back then, which replicated the slotted side - but they were all plastic - and I doubt they continue to make them?

Cheers!

BLUM

Screenshot_20230903_183823_Messages.jpg

Brown Laminex! :-)Brown Laminex! :smile:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair damaged chipboard drawers?

Afternoon @Gloellas 

:surprised: Man! I am impressed that you are giving this a go first out :smile: You have thought inside the box to fix it :smile: I am mainly commenting so I get to see it when you finish (even if it dosnt work your thinking is a good idea) I wonder if there is a plastic style paint that is hard out there for you to paint those bits that you want to after sanding?

Id have gone straight to the idea of keeping the faceplate and making up the back again from scratch. However I really love the idea of repair/reuse even if its a little more work.

Nice work.

Dave

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Hi Noyade,

Thanks for your reply and the suggestion of Blum.  I'm going to check it out.

I think this drawer belonged in many kitchen.  Ours is from a unit we have purchased down the Coast.  It was built in the 1980's and looks 1980's lol.  I have many other projects to tackle.  The view makes it worth it though.

I'm keeping an eye out on market place for old drawers to get spare parts.  I have an idea of getting vinyl wrap off other drawers...

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your encouragement.  It would make more sense to keep the front and rebuild.  However the only things I have ever built have been out of paddle pop sticks 😂

Plastic style paint is a good suggestion.  I will check that out too.

My family actually call me MacGyver because I'm always thinking of unorthodox ways to fix things lol.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gloellas 

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from our members, just to add to the ideas presented, I recommend having a look at the Kia Ora 120 x 400 x 450mm Vinyl Wrap Drawer. I suggest checking the size of your drawer box and see if the replacement drawer box is compatible.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects