Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rust from dishwasher?

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

How to remove rust from dishwasher?

20230707_084029.jpg

20230707_083931.jpg

 hi does anyone know what is safe to use to clean the rust and paint off my dishwasher? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove rust from dishwasher?

Hello @projectmumdanni 

Thank you for sharing your question about removing the rust from your dishwasher's front door. I suggest trying out Glitz 1kg Green Bi-Carb Cleaner and some water. Find a small plastic container where you can mix some bi-carb and some water. Your goal is to create a paste like consistency and not add too much water. Using a clean rag dip a corner into the mix and rub it on the stainless steel in a back-and-forth motion in line with the grain of the stainless steel. 

Some tough spots might require several applications to lift the rust off. Make sure to rinse the rag well and rotate it when moving on to another section. I recommend trying this method first before you attempt to use chemicals.

If the rust stains refuse to budge, I propose testing CLR 1L Calcium Lime Rust Remover. Please note that this is a concentrate and must be diluted before using. I recommend testing a small hidden section not in direct line of sight. Remember to rinse the area with water after testing.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask. Please remember to follow all the recommended safety procedures printed at the back of the bottle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove rust from dishwasher?

Hi @projectmumdanni,

Hope all is well and that Eric's advice was helpful. Can you please tell us how you went cleaning your stainless steel dishwasher? I'm sure other community members would benefit from your experience. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects