Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove kitchen kickboard?

garethbishop
Getting Established

How to remove kitchen kickboard?

Hi,

I want to replace a kitchen kickboard due to water damage.  From what I understand it seems fairly straightforward - the board next to the damaged one is under the dishwasher and was glued in place and came away when I pulled it, but I'm not sure the one I want to remove is the same as most others - it is joined at the corner somehow to another board, which seems fairly fixed in place, rather than being able to just pull it away, and I'm not sure how to remove it.  There are no screws inside the bottom of cupboards down into the boards.

It is also glued along the bottom with some kind of caulking/sealant - I assume I can just chip this away.

See photo for details - any questions let me know.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gareth

IMG_2092.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove kitchen kickboard?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @garethbishop. We're delighted to have you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist with your question, but let me tag our knowledgeable members @Brad@TedBear, and @diy_hausdesigns to check if they have some advice.

In the meantime, you may also want to check out this similar discussion: How to replace kitchen cabinet kickboard?

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @garethbishop 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing your existing kickboard. If you are not planning on recycling your kickboard, I suggest using a Craftright 380mm Wrecking Bar. Place the flat tip of the bar between the joint of the kickboard and slowly lift the corner out. Once the corner has been lifted you'll be able to determine if it has been glued in or it's just being held by clips.

However, if you wish to recycle the kickboard, I recommend removing the small corner piece at the end. Remove the screws attached to it and slowly pry it loose with a flat head screwdriver. It looks to be water damaged so take care when disassembling it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @EricL ,

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a go with the wrecking bar.  The current board is about 85mm in height - I don't suppose Bunnings offers a service to cut them to size (height and length)?

Thanks,

Gareth

Hi @garethbishop,

We do offer an in-store cutting service, and you might like to chat with a team member when you're purchasing the replacement board. They'll be able to let you know if that 85mm height can be cut off a full board. 

Mitchell

Hi @EricL ,

I've been using the Craftwright wrecking bar and trying to lift out the corner of the kickboard, but no matter how hard I try I cannot get it to budge.  I've uploaded a picture just to show where I'm putting it.  There are no screws inside the cupboard down into the kickboard that would be holding it in place.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gareth

20231105_230829209_iOS.jpg

Hi @garethbishop,

Are you able to pull the dishwasher out to see how far back this sideboard extends? Typically, kickboards are installed last and clipped onto the cabinet legs. In your case, the kickboard could have been attached to the cabinetry before installation. It might be affixed with angle brackets from behind. If this is the case, simply trying to remove it from the front might not be possible. If it was loosely attached, I'm fairly certain you would have been able to remove it with ease.

Touching on your original reason for removing the board, to replace a water-damaged section, do you actually need to do this? If the water leak has been resolved and the timber is still structurally sound and dry, then there might not be a need to replace it.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thanks for the reply.  I had tried removing the dishwasher (for a different reason) but am also having issues.  I've removed the wooden blocks that would prevent it from being removed and I have lowered the feet and can see a gap along the top now.  There are no screws holding it to the underside of the countertop - I'm not aware of anything else that would be holding it in place, but it also won't move (the bottom shifts a bit, but it seems like it must be attached further up somewhere) - I'm not having much luck!

Re: the reason for removing the kickboard - I can live with it as it is, but a water leak I had has caused bubbles to form and it just doesn't look very nice.  I've attached a photo to show you.

Thanks,

Gareth

20231113_072036903_iOS.jpg

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Ok, I finally got my dishwasher out - there were screws inside the dishwasher that went out and into the cabinet alongside (not very practical - I'm going to have to make sure the dishwasher is in exactly the same position to screw them back again!)

I've attached a picture - the kickboards go all the way to the back of the cupboard.  It sort of seems like they are an integral part of the cabinets - what do you think?

Thanks,

Gareth

20231113_083009583_iOS.jpg

Hi @garethbishop,

There is a good possibility that the panels are an integral part of the cabinetry. It could have been constructed with the kickboards being the base of the cabinet instead of them being removable panels and having a leg systems behind them.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects