Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove gap between kitchen tap flange and sink?

mistericho
Just Starting Out

How to remove gap between kitchen tap flange and sink?

Hi there

The kitchen taps got a space between the flange and sink where stuff food scraps gets stuck and requires cleaning often. I got different tap spindles but it is still not flushed. I got new flanges too but still not flushed. Which part do I need to replace for it to be flushed on the sink?

thanks

IMG_2256.jpegIMG_2257.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gap between kitchen tap flange and sink

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mistericho. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting taps.

If you've tried another set of taps with similar results, then it sounds like there is only a minimal distance between the tap breech under the sink and the top of it. Having a plumber lower this breech would resolve the situation. 

The only other reason I can think of that could cause this issue is if you've used wall taps instead of sink/basin top assembly taps. Wall taps typically have a longer spindle assembly, and therefore, the cover flanges won't fully screw down as they are designed to be able to seat deeper into a wall.

There's no real quick fix for this, as the threaded section of the spindle is too high for the cover flange to screw down flush to the bench; you're simply outside the limitation of the tap and running out of threaded section. You could potentially silicone this gap, but given the height, it might prove to be a bit tricky.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Gap between kitchen tap flange and sink

IMG_2277.jpeg

yes they’re basin taps but it used to have those old style star type resin handles that broke. I also tried a shallow spindle but still got the gap. I’ve just added washers (for cisterns) I have lying around as quick fix, then will see in a month if any build up continues.

I’ve added a photo for ref and I think it’s ok for now

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects