Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rejuvenate kitchen Island and benches that have been worn?

natcosgriff
Just Starting Out

How to rejuvenate kitchen Island and benches that have been worn?

thumbnail_IMG_9475.jpgIMG_9473.jpg

Hoping I could get some ideas of what I could put over the concrete to make benches look new or paint ideas?

Also if anyone knows of a kitchen or handyman, someone who works at Bunnings, who can help me as I don't have the tools or experience to do this job myself I don't think. 

Thanks Nat

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to rejuvenate kitchen Island and benches that have been worn?

Hello @natcosgriff, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about rejuvenating your kitchen benchtops.

My apologies for the late reply. It appears that a sealer was used on the surface of the concrete and has started to wear away. Sanding the surface of the concrete might improve its finish but the issue that comes to mind is how deep did the old dealer penetrate the concrete top?

Let's say for example that the surface was sanded, when the new sealer is applied it will meet up with the old sealer and possibly produce a patchy finish on the surface. Unfortunately, there is no way to get to the old sealer in the pores of the concrete.

Painting the surface on the other hand would be a better idea, but it would need be strong and capable of putting up with daily kitchen use. Allow me to make a few inquiries with our paint supplier. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @natcosgriff 

I have been thinking about your benchtops (yeah I am envious even if they are showing signs of aging) 

The only thing I can think of is pretty much buffing the concrete with a wire brush on a drill 3 Piece drill brush kit (The link is the right link tho the webpage isnt loading atm) so it comes back to that "grey" look.

Id probarly try the area out of sight (Under toaster/kettle) in the corner and see how it comes up. @EricL's suggestion is valid tho. 
If you like the buffed look, you could try sealing a small area and see how it looks, even an edge out of the way. 

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @natcosgriff,

Just thought I'd add a general safety warning that adequate PPE must be worn when sanding concrete, including a respirator and safety glasses.

If you were looking for a tradesperson to complete this work for you, It might be an idea to consider sites like hipages and Airtasker.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @natcosgriff 

Thank you for your patience. I've made inquiries regarding concrete benchtop paint, and none are applicable as they are not made for concrete benchtop use. Unfortunately, the current paint systems available are applicable only to laminate surfaces only. I'm afraid your only avenue is to resurface the top of your concrete benchtop mechanically and apply a new sealer.   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects