Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect kitchen window from water damage?

ziinogroup
Just Starting Out

How to protect kitchen window from water damage?

Hello Everyone

I have a problem with my kitchen window - I want to change my kitchen and renovate it but I have a problem with the kitchen window. The original kitchen was installed with no protection of the timber ledge where it meets the benchtop. When you wash dishes the water goes to the ledge and sits there creating swelling of the timber ledge. I am looking for ideas that could help in resolving is issue as I am fully prepared to renovate my kitchen but I am stuck with this issue that I do not have any answers to yet.

Do you know of anything that I can do to resolve this matter?

Thank you 
Luisa ZiinoKitchen sink.jpgKitchen sink 2.jpgKitchen sink 3.jpgIMG_7649.jpg20230421_135234.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen Window

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ziinogroup. It's excellent to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about protecting a window sill.

The timber is painted so effectively the surface is protected from water. The edge of the timber against the cabinetry might be unpainted, and the water could be accessing the raw timber there. However, this damage is quite extensive, extending almost right down the full length of the timber, well out of the splash zone. If you hadn't mentioned splashing it from the sink, I would say this is undoubtedly due to a plumbing leak or, more likely, water is entering through the window from outside and saturating the timber. I can't imagine the amount of damage seen here is due to a few splashes from washing up, even after many years, unless you were actually pouring water over the timber whilst washing up.

If there is no leak in the window, which I'd encourage you to pursue as a cause, then the issue of water splashes can easily be resolved with your renovation. You might like to tile this area or add a small strip of acrylic splashback to cover the new timber. The tiles or acrylic will be sealed on both edges, and no water will be able to access the new underlying timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect kitchen window from water damage?

Hi @ziinogroup 

Just to add to the suggestions made, if you are having a stone or Think solid benchtop custom sized, I recommend asking the kitchen designer to run the benchtop into the window cavity. This will permanently protect the timber of the window frame and any accidental water spills will not affect your aluminium window.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects