Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint Ash Wood legs black?

hc14
Getting Established

Can you paint Ash Wood legs black?

Hi All, 

Wondering if someone could help with a painting question.
I've been looking at buying a dining table with Ash Wood legs. However, the one with Matte black finished legs is out of stock and not coming back in stock anytime soon. Only the "Natural Ash Wood" version is in stock.
Is it possible to repaint the legs in the matte black paint as per the pictures on the site? Will it retain the grain lines? 
i did a quick google and the 'Ebonizing' technique came up. Is that the only way or can i simply just sand back and brush/spray on a some black paint?

matte_black_ash_wood_legs.jpgnatural_ash_wood_legs.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Ash Wood legs black

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hc14. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting timber.

I've had great success using Rust-Oleum 340g Black Matt 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Spray Paint over timber. After enough light coats to cover the timber, the grain was still noticeable. However, if you lay on thick coats, you'll soon conceal the timber grain significantly. The other option is to use Feastwatson Black Japan Stain. Even if you apply thicker coats, the timber grain will still be quite noticeable through the stain.

The one issue you might run into is if this table has already been varnished. Do you know if it has a coating on it already? If it does, then it would need to be sanded off in order to let the grain show through these products. I would not advise you to apply stain over the varnish as it needs to penetrate into the timber, which the varnish will prevent. For the spray paint, you could apply it over the varnish, but I wouldn't expect you to see the timber grain through a varnish and a paint.

For further information on the furnitures suitability for paint, it might be best to contact the supplier directly and ask them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hc14
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc for your response. 

I will look into those options provided. I'm not sure if the timber has been varnished, is there an easy way to tell? So if vanish has been applied and i need to sand it off, is it a risk that i will need to sand it back a bit which could make the surface of the wood smooth? and therefore lose the grain/bumps feature of the wood?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you apply a drop of water to the timber @hc14 and it soaks in, then varnish has not been applied. If the water sits as a droplet and does not penetrate and wet the timber after 5mins, then it has been varnished. The timber appears to be already smooth, regardless of sanding the varnish off or not. Sanding the varnish off will not cause you to lose the grain. The grain is part of the timber and not something that is solely on the surface and can be sanded off. 

If there were a rough texture or bumps, then sanding would remove those. However, the timber looks quite smooth, and the timber's natural appearance isn't inherently connected with a rough texture.

Mitchell

hc14
Getting Established

@MitchellMc i do mean the rough texture rather than the look of the grain. With the black paint, i will lose the graining anyways. The surface of the legs is mostly smooth. I think the picture below more accurately describes the rough texture i was talking about

matte_black_ash_wood_legs_texture.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you paint Ash Wood legs black?

Hi @hc14,

I think it might be a difference in the terms we are using, and that I've said it's a smooth texture already that has confused the discussion. It's smooth in the sense that the timber could be a lot rougher, but I understand what you mean. That rough texture is part of the grain, and it's also the pores of the wood. With paint, you'll lose the colour difference in the grain, but you won't necessarily lose the grain's rough texture. I've added some photos below of a chair I've spray painted with three coats. You'll see that rough texture is still present. You can also see the grain layering. On areas I applied too thick of a coat, the paint filled up the grain and created a smooth surface devoid of any rough texture or appearance of grain.

If you're looking to keep that rough texture, just keep your coats of paint nice and thin and don't flood out areas.

Mitchell

IMG_20230321_131010_363.jpgIMG_20230321_131027_667.jpg

hc14
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc
Do you have any issues with paint chipping off on that chair you painted?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hc14 

Let me tag @MitchellMc to make him aware of your questions. The best part about the paint types that were mentioned are that they that dry off in thin layers. They are also very flexible and often go into the pores of the timber hence any accidental hits or damage results in the paint bending with the timber.

There are two key techniques if you wish to chieve that paint finish with the grain being visible. First, make sure to use a vacuum cleaner on the timber so that it sucks out all the sanded saw dust in the timber grain. Second, make sure to dilute the paint and use the highest quality brush your budget will allow. 

If you've prepared the surface of the timber properly the paint will get absorbed by the timber, thereby revealing the grain of the timber itself. Make sure to give the paint enough time to cure so that the paint will settle and thin out on the surface of the timber.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your dining table.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No issues with paint chipping off @hc14. I've knocked the chair several times, and the paint appears well-adhered.

Mitchell

hc14
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL & @MitchellMc 

The painted chair looks exactly like the result i'm after! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects