Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over painted kitchen splashback tiles?

oliviapatch
Finding My Feet

How to paint over painted kitchen splashback tiles?

C5967B31-68BA-45EA-B903-3A258338A997.jpeg

Hey Everyone, 

My kitchen tiles have already been painted a horrible green colour. I am wondering if it’s possible to paint over the paint in a white? How would I go about this? What paint would I use? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Paint over already painted kitchen splashback tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oliviapatch. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting tiles.

Provided the paint is not a two-pack coating, then with preparation, you can paint over it. You'll need to test the paint to be sure. Take some methylated spirits on a cotton bud and rub it in circular motions for 3 minutes on the paint in a small and inconspicuous area. If the paint softens, then it's most likely a water-based product, or if it comes off, it's oil-based. Both of these are suitable for painting, but I'd recommend you lightly sand back the paint to dull the gloss with 240-grit sandpaper; you just need to obtain a hazy appearance. You can then apply Dulux 1L Renovation Range Primer and, once dry, two coats of Dulux 1L Renovation Range Tiles & Benchtops Gloss White.

If the test has no effect, it's possibly a two-pack product, and our products are not designed for overcoating that kind of paint. If it is a two-pack product, it would be best to enlist the services of a professional.

Here is a helpful guide: How to paint tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to Paint over already painted kitchen splashback tiles

Hi Olivia @oliviapatch 

All the best with the repainting.

But I gotta say - I love the tile colour. 😁

20231001_093059.jpg

oliviapatch
Finding My Feet

How to neaten edging of benchtop & painted tiles?

A8915A68-5A9F-43A5-8DFD-4D48664857E3.jpeg

I have painted my kitchen splash back tiles white now I need to neaten up the edge where it joins the bench top. Any suggestions? 

Re: How to neaten edging of benchtop & painted tiles?

Great work @oliviapatch.

Since you likely removed the silicone sealant from the corner as per the tile paint application guide, I recommend adding it again, which will seal the corner and improve the look. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant

I'd suggest you wait a week after applying the tile paint before using masking tape over it when sealing the corner; any sooner, and it will likely pull the paint off. Remember to remove the tape immediately after applying the sealant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects