Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint kickboard under kitchen cupboards?

jwilliamson
Finding My Feet

How to paint kickboard under kitchen cupboards?

Hi, I'd like to have a go at painting the kicker strip between my cupboards and flooring to change the colour from black to white (pic attached).

Is this an easy job and what equipment/technique should I use?  Perhaps it might better to hire a painter !

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_5114.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Painting advice

hi @jwilliamson 

This  is a nice DIY job

First mask your floor with no bleed masking tape.  Then add a painters  drop sheet across the floor.

Those kick boards can be vinal or melomine which  resists  paint sticking to it so best to under coat.

Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker

$35.98

Medium  brush  water based

The undercoat also masks the black dark colour so the white is bright as intended

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jwilliamson,

It's great to see you've already received some helpful advice from @Jewelleryrescue. The only thing I can add is to make sure to give the kickboard a good wipe-down with some Sugar Soap to remove any greasy residue before priming. Dulux Aquanamel would be a great choice for your topcoat paint.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @Jewelleryrescue Hi, 

Well I painted my kitchen kickboard over the weekend but perhaps I should've left it to the professionals.  It looks okay but when I pulled off the tape (still partially wet), I took off the paint with the tape so it's left this ripped strip of black at the bottom (see pic).  I have heaps of Primer and Paint left so is there any way to rectify this with another coat over the bottom?  Maybe I'll hire in a painter to fix it instead! :smile:  Also, I've left a few splashes of paint on the hybrid floor so how best to remove ? IMG_5218.jpg I used the Dulux Aquanamel.  Thanks so much for all of your advice.  Cheers Jan

Hi @jwilliamson,

That can happen to the best of us. I'd take a small paintbrush and touch up the areas. 

You'll find the Aquanamel shouldn't have adhered all that well to the flooring. Try scratching the majority off with your fingernail and then pop some warm soapy water on a sponge or rag and give the area a bit of a scrub. That should remove most, if not all, of the splashes.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc Do I just use the paint and not the primer?  The small paintbrush link didn't work so is this the 25mm synthetic brush.  Could I also use a small foam brush?  Thanks again! I'll try that...

Any craft brush will do, @jwilliamson. The 25mm is a little large unless you were to re-tape the floor.

Another option is to add a self-adhesive quad moulding around the floor's perimeter. Not only will that hide the paint job, but it will also give you an excellent finish.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc Great..do I just use the paint or the primer as well? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jwilliamson 

If the moulding is unprimed and is just plain timber, it's best to use the primer on it before you paint over it. This will give the topcoat a good surface to grip on. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi  @jwilliamson 

Really  I would  leave your white floor masking tape line  and  use no more  gaps  to seal between you kick  board and  floor you can then over paint as you wish.  

Your efforts to date is as  good as a  many pro painters I have seen. Practice  will help  you so dont sell your efforts short It is  your home so step  back and ask your self do I like that white line on the floor.   Personally I do :smile:  once you seal the gaps to the floor it will look neat and even   after a final  paint coat I think you will be  pleased

A heads  up every  DIY  person thinks there work  can  be better as  we  can all see the  little blemishes we make . But  no one else  ever will so you need to follow your standards aim  high but  dont fret the little blemishes if they  occur.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects