Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a Pine kitchen hutch?

curlyfox
Getting Established

How to paint a Pine kitchen hutch?

D12EDA67-96BE-4C42-A044-D1D687BD781A.png

 Hi all. I’d like to paint this hutch solid colours, either green or yellow with a cream background. I know I have to lightly sand off the shine.
1.  Will the knots in the wood “bleed” through without a primer or blocker? If so, what brand would I need?

2. Also what’s the best paint brand for solid colour I’ve only ever used chalk paint but over it now. 

3. I’d like a top coat sealer that gives it a smooth surface which can be wiped easily which is why I don’t do chalk paint anymore. 
Thanks guys and gals

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint a Pine kitchen hutch?

Hello @curlyfox 

Thank you for sharing your question about how to paint your pine kitchen hutch. You're absolutely correct regarding the correct primer being used. I suggest using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker

The water-based, low-odour primer-sealer is a versatile solution that effectively seals stains, graffiti, and tannin bleed on various surfaces. Its unique formulation creates a resilient film that is resistant to mould and mildew, making it suitable for both interior and exterior applications. 

I propose using Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint. It is a water-based acrylic enamel designed for both interior and exterior use. When it dries, it creates a glossy, ultra-smooth, and durable finish that resists chipping. This versatile paint can be used in the same areas as traditional oil-based enamels, but with the added time-saving advantages of acrylic paint. 

Here are some upcycling projects our workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects