Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix kitchen taps that keep turning?

WABOMBERBOY
Getting Established

How to fix kitchen taps that keep turning?

Hello, The other day my kitchen tap kept turning and the water was still coming out.

a plumber fixed the problem with a new tap set at the back of the sink ( inside the wall ).

he then installed a new set of taps and spout.

my question is that the tap continues to turn even tho no water is coming out. I just don’t want to get the replaced tiles only to find out there’s a problem with the tap.

do taps continue to spin even tho the water is completely off?

I have included 2 photos. One photo is of the taps and the other is the box that the tap set came in. The plumber said he used his own parts because he didn’t like the ones in the box.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: kitchen taps keep turning

Hi @WABOMBERBOY 

Thanks for sharing your question about your kitchen taps. Taps normally wind down and stop once the spindle reaches the bottom of the tap body. If it continues to spin odds are the spindle threads are either worn out or the base of the tap body is worn out or damaged. You mentioned that your plumber installed a new set of taps, did they not test it before leaving?

If your spindles are still spinning loosely, I suggest calling the plumber back as it appears that the plumbing repairs are still under warranty. You can address the issue with your plumber and ask them what appears to be causing the loose spinning. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your taps? This will give our members a better idea of what they look like. We can then make more recommendations on possible repair options.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Happy Holidays!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

WABOMBERBOY
Getting Established

The bottom photo is all the parts the plumber didn’t use. He said he doesn’t like them?. He said he used his own parts.IMG_0984.jpeg

IMG_0982.jpeg

Hi Red, Thanks for your input. The taps themselves are not loose. It’s just when I turn the tap off, obviously the water stops but the tap still turns.

Hi  @WABOMBERBOY 

how far do they turn?  The older style taps  have rubber washers in them and they will turn until the water stops like you are seeing this is how they where designed.

As the  washers are rubber they can be over compressed further as the tap keeps turning. The important thing is when the water stops flowing stop turning as there is no need to over tighten as that will wear out the rubber washers faster.

The latest taps use ceramic elements that stop the water flow and physically cant tighten any more. Maybe this is what your used to feeling in a tape.

I know I replaced tap washers for a family and tried to educate them not to over tighten the taps some one didnt listen  and three weeks later the tap  was leaking again. I replaced rubber  with plastic washers that can take a little tough love.  I dont know fully if  this is your situation.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix kitchen taps that keep turning?

Hi @WABOMBERBOY,

It sounds like you are suggesting that the tap handle continues to free-spin once the water is turned off and this is not something taps do. Once the tap valve closes off the water supply, as @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, there might be another 1/4 turn possible of the handle as the rubber valve fully compresses. The tap handle should not just continue to spin, and I can't really imagine how that would be possible. So, the tap handle is spinning, but what about the straight shaft that goes into the handle? Is that spinning, too?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yesterday I could get at least 3 turns. Today seems better

It just still turns, not spins. Yesterday I could get at least 3 turns from it. Today seems better.

There's no reason I can think of why you'd get three full turns out of the handle once the water has been turned off @WABOMBERBOY. Once the rubber valve hits the seat at the stop end, the tap should be able to turn any further as there is nowhere for it to go. It's metal handle > metal spindle > rubber valve > metal seat. The rubber valve can compress a little, allowing at the very most one full rotation if you were the Hulk, but after that, it's metal on metal. 

I'd suggest you speak with the plumber who installed the taps and see if there is anything they can think of that would be causing this. I've installed those taps often and haven't had any issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @WABOMBERBOY 

I am wondering if dome headed washers were installed? They are used when people dont have strength in the wrists to turn things hard. I installed them for my Grandmother years ago and the instructions say dont over tighten. They would shut the water off but you could still turn them easily tighter, tho it wanst needed. I replaced them 6 months later as she grew used to the not over tightening them and stripping the rubber and then I didnt have to do it again for years.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects