Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control indoor woodworm?

bobdrum
Just Starting Out

How to control indoor woodworm?

How do I control indoor woodworm in a 4 year old apartment 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: indoor woodworm

Hello @bobdrum 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about woodworm.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the infested timber? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

It's important to find out if these are pin hole borers or large timber borers. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bobdrum
Just Starting Out

Not sure what the wood is but it’s a soft wood 🤔

Please advise if you have any further information regarding the attached issue.

Regards.

trim1.jpgTrim2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bobdrum,

At first glance, these don't appear to be active wood borers as the appearance of the hole looks quite old, and there is no obvious frass being expelled from them. When did you first notice them? Is there a chance that timber could have been used in the construction that already had these holes? 

Some of this appears to be damage from impacts, as I've marked below. Can you take a pin or paperclip and check the others to ensure there are holes and not just damage to the timber?

The holes don't look fresh and almost like they were varnished over during installation. My thoughts are that unless you are sure these have developed recently, then they were potentially present on the timber when it was installed. Are these the only areas where the holes appear? 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects