Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace the flyscreen for this door?

savvysurfer
Finding My Feet

How do I replace the flyscreen for this door?

Hi,

I would like to replace the flyscreen for this timber door, but I was unable to find how I can remove the old one and then put in a new one. There seems to be no openings. Could someone give me some advice please? Thank you,

savvysurfer_0-1709939878787.png

savvysurfer_1-1709939889824.png

savvysurfer_0-1709940060171.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I replace the flyscreen for this door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @savvysurfer. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a flyscreen.

Can we please start with why you need to replace the flyscreen? I only ask, as I suspect timber beading has been used to keep it in place, which could be a hassle to remove and re-install the screen. There are some flyscreen repair products that could be used if you have a rip in the current screen, and they could save you a whole heap of work.

New screens use a spline system that retains the screen, and it's easy to remove and install a new screen, as seen in this step-by-step guide: How to replace a flyscreen. Older screens would use a timber beading such as a Tasmanian Oak quad moulding to hold the screen in place. Removing this timber moulding, replacing the screen and replacing the moulding, would be a far more extensive project. This is certainly something that can be done, but it would be best to explore alternative repairs before attempting it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks. It is just super old and getting loose/stretching. I wonder if there is a way to replace the old system with the new spline system? I guess I need to replacing the whole door.

If this style of door suits your home, then I'd remove the timber beading and replace the flyscreen @savvysurfer. Retrofitting the newer spline system into an older door would be fraught with issues and possibly not look the part. You could replace the whole door with a more modern version, but it might not suit your home once again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects