Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Farmhouse-themed dining table makeover

NickiM
Having an Impact

Farmhouse-themed dining table makeover

I have a big family, so the original 8 seater square table, then 10 seater long table were always going to be too small. So when I finally found an affordable second hand 12 seater table and chairs, I snapped up the bargain with the intention to give it a massive makeover to match my Farmhouse kitchen.

Materials

1. Ortiz Sander

2. Dulux cafe cream paint

3. Clear varnish

4. Ortiz paint spray gun

5. Small 80grit sanding block

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Remove the chair seat from the frames. Lightly sand the frames and using the spray gun, paint the frames cafe cream colour. 

IMG_4687.jpeg

Step 2

Using the Ortiz sander and 60-80 grit sandpaper, sand the chair base. This process took almost 1 hr per chair base and I have 12 seats. 

IMG_4719.jpeg

Step 3

Remove the table top from the legs. Using the same Ortiz sander and several replacement 60-80 grit sanding sheets, sanded back the dark brown table to its natural wood. This took almost 9hrs over a number of days (lots of pressure on your back, arms and legs). 

IMG_4746.jpeg

Step 4

Paint the table legs the same cafe cream colour as the chair frames. 

Step 5

Clean all the sawdust off the table and chair based and wash with a water and sponge. Apply clear varnish to the natural wood, let it dry and lightly sand with 240-260 grit sandpaper, before applying varnish again. I applied three coats (with my little helper)

IMG_4862.jpeg

Step 6

Reattach the chair base to the frames, and legs to the table top. 
What an amazing transformation in the before and after shots. 

IMG_4938.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 12 Seater Dining Table Makeover

Hi @NickiM,

Congratulations on the incredible makeover you achieved! You've done a wonderful job transforming the table and chairs to match your farmhouse kitchen, and I love the finish on the timber; the cafe cream colour was really a great choice.

Amazing results, and many thanks for sharing!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: 12 Seater Dining Table Makeover

Beautiful job on the dining room table NickM..

You're  obviously a skilled  builder and I love the timber top..Well done..

Prof...

Radwa
Just Starting Out

Re: Farmhouse-themed dining table makeover

Well done it is really amazing ,I bought an upcycled dinning set from a page on Facebook and her finishing is awful.I want to repaint it again ,could you please tell me the paint type?
Regards

Radwa 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Radwa. It's sensational to have you join us, and great to see you've taken inspiration from this project.

I'd suggest that an enamel paint similar to Dulux Aquanamel would have been used on the chairs and a varnish like Cabot's Cabothane on the table. However, let me mention @NickiM so they are alerted to your questions, and hopefully, they can fill us in on the exact products.

I am keen to see your results, so please reach out if you have any questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

NickiM
Having an Impact

Hi @Radwa 

For my table top and chair base, I sanded it right back to the natural wood. Then using a clear wood gloss varnish, I applied 2-3 coats. 
For the chair frames, I lightly sanded it and then used a Taubmans Ultimate Enamel paint in a Dulux Cafe Crème colour.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @NickiM. Thanks for getting back to @Radwa. I'm sure they appreciate the advice and inspiration.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects