Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need a plumber to change water taps in kitchen?

marynguyen
Finding My Feet

Do you need a plumber to change water taps in kitchen?

hi all, 

I am wondering if we are allowed to change the tap water in the kitchen or need a plumber? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do you need a plumber to change water taps in kitchen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @marynguyen. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing taps.

According to The Australian Plumbing Code, only a licensed plumber is authorised to complete any work involving plumbing or drainage. To install a tap, you'd need to connect it to the plumbing work, and therefore you'd require a plumber.

There are a few jobs that you can complete yourself, and these include:

• installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from an isolating valve, tap or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the irrigation or lawn watering system

• replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap

• changing a showerhead

• replacing a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber in a toilet cistern.

You'll likely find a few sources that suggest you can change the tap yourself. However, I'd encourage you to do your own research or contact your local building authority for more information. I like to stick on the safe side and suggest that if you're not changing a washer or updating a showerhead, it's best to call in the professionals. I always look at the worst-case scenario. What if the plumbing connection on your new tap fails and your house is flooded? I can guarantee your home insurer is going to be very interested in knowing when the tap was installed and by whom. If you can't prove that a licensed plumber installed the tap, you're going to have a hard time claiming the insurance.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects