Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint Mdf shelves?

sherry59
Just Starting Out

Can you paint Mdf shelves?

Hi everyone, 

I just joined the community as I recently bought a house which needs a bit of TLC .

I can't afford to pay for every single tasks that need to be done so I thought maybe I can start learning to be more self sufficient!

My kitchen is a bit old and inside shelves has stain and looks dirty ,also the edge of shelves with tapes on them are mostly taken off .I was wondering if there iscany paint or some sort of solution to fix this .

Do I need sealer and primer? 

Can anyone help please 🙏 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you paint Mdf shelves?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sherry59. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting MDF.

Congratulations on purchasing your new house! It must be an exciting time for you, filled with plenty of ideas on how you'd like to make it your own.

You can paint MDF and I'd recommend two good coats of a primer such as Dulux One Step before applying your topcoat.

Remember, though, that the ceramic base of plates is just like sandpaper, so it would be best to then line your shelves with something like a kitchen draw liner to prevent damage to your new finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects